News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Early American Documents

Bear

• 1 month later...
    • Replies 62
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

Well well. Excellent genetic material there. Distant cousin to both Texas cattle baron Abel Head "Shanghai" (NOT "Hawkeye" :rolleyes: ) Pierce and Mister Orson Welles, no less-- both of them from the same ordained Hahvuhd side of these Littles.

Edmund Little was born in West Newbury (then Essex) 5 September 1715. Yes, 1715. He died there 29 August 1803 a week from his 88th birthday.

He was an Ensign in the Newbury militia in 1757, but served as Chaplain (! NOT officially ordained !) in Colonel Jedidiah Prebble's Regiment on the Expedition to Canada, serving there 13 March to 11 June 1758.

He married 18 March 1735 OS/1736 NS Judith Adams (b. Newbury 3 April 1716), daughter of Dr. Mathew Adams (1686-1755) and Sarah Knight. I've overwritten my own scrawlings and lost the thread on both their death dates. ;(

Chaplain/Captain Edmund Little was the son of Enoch Little (1685-1766) and Elizabeth Worth (1688-1766). His Little line goes back Joseph Little (1653-1740) & Mary Coffin (1657-1725), George Little (-1694) and Alice Poor. His Coffins were strays to Newbury and not the legendary family of Nantucket, though blood kin. Mary's parents were Tristram Coffin Jr and Judith Greenleaf, which is the closest I can find any connection with, though even I get lost trying to follow her connection to my connection with John Greenleaf Whittier.

My bunch had bugged out of nearby Salem and Beverly following the Unpleasantness of 1692 for the less lethally litigious pastures of Connecticut, thus evading any connection with these families. :catjava:

Thanks Rick.

FRANCIS BERNARD, Esq:

Captain General and Governor in Chief, in and

over His Majesty's Province of the Massachusetts-

Bay in New-England, and Vice Admiral of the Famer

What does Vice Admiral of the Famer mean?

thanks,

barry

Guest Rick Research

No, that's "Vice Admiral of the same" with an ending flourish. Must have been a legal oddment allowing him to sit over courts of Admiralty in merchant shipping cases,since there was no military fleet here then.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I've found some more info on Col. Proctor.

Proctor was a Freemason and a very good friend of Paul Revere. They both did alot of their revolutionary mischief together. Proctor was also present during the events that led to the Boston Massacre.

A note on the Seal. "By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty"

Here is a website for Mass Seals

http://www.sec.state.ma.us:80/pre/presea/sealhis.htm

thanks,

barry

Edited by Bear

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm trying to find out where Samuel White was killed. Hopefully the date of his death will place him at a certain battle.

thanks,

barry

This may certify that Samuel White served in the 6th Connecticut Regiment in the Continental Army before the first day of January last.

28 December 1780

Col. Jonathon Meigs

6th Conn. Regiment

The Battle of Green Spring (July 6, 1781)

4th Connecticut was under the command of the Marquis de Lafayette.

".... when one is twenty-three, has an arny to command and Lord Cornwallis to oppose, the time that is left is none too long for sleep."

-Marquis de Lafayette 1781

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_...h/14/hh14a1.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uELMnVoTwlA

Edited by Bear

Hello,

I just got in this document from the American Revolution.

Garrett Cavenear served throughout the war.

9th Virginia Regiment

Battle of Brandywine

Battle of Germantown

1st Virginia Regiment

Battle of Stony Point

The 1st Regiment was captured during the Siege of Charlestown on May 12, 1780.

thanks,

barry

Edited by Bear