News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear forumites:

I would like to introduce a decoration, which is not so known to the most collectors and doesn't appear to be so "attractive" since it was a Bavarian for war merit at home (sort of KVK).

According to Nimmergut (Deutsche Orden & Ehrenzeichen, Band Nr. 1, Seiten 215 und 216):

Insgesamt wurden von Juli 1916 bis M?rz 1918 ca. 73'000 Verleihungen vorgenommen. Die erste Verleihung betrug 4'400 Exemplare.

Founded in:

Stiftung: 07.01.1916 durch K?nig Ludwig III. von Bayern

Awardes for:

"... als Zeichen ehrender und dankbarer Anerkennung f?r solche Person... die sich w?hrend dieses Krieges durch dienstliche oder freiwillige T?tigkeit in der Heimat besondere Verdienste um das Heer oder die allgemeine Wohlfahrt des Landes erworben haben."

Enjoy!

I would like you to contribute to this thread and am kindly asking to post yours...

Ciao,

Claudio

Claudio,

Beautiful single mounted example, the condition is superb. If I could find one like this I would jump on it, unfortunately most of them seem to have faded ribbons and oxidized crosses. That looks like it was lovingly packed away and has not seen the light of day in 90 years. :jumping:

Dan Murphy

Hi Claudio!

Frankly I?m a bit embarrassed to post this piece because, compared to yours and Paul?s, it?s pretty grungy; but I?ll do it because it illustrates one of the bronze examples of the cross.

And while we?re on the subject, I thought that I should show this 100th constitution jubilee silver cross which, as you can see has the same obverse as the Ludwig Cross; but a different reverse. Again, I hope that you don?t mind the fact that these pieces are a bit knocked about.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Dear forumites:

I would like to introduce a decoration, which is not so known to the most collectors and doesn't appear to be so "attractive" since it was a Bavarian for war merit at home (sort of KVK).

According to Nimmergut (Deutsche Orden & Ehrenzeichen, Band Nr. 1, Seiten 215 und 216):

Insgesamt wurden von Juli 1916 bis M?rz 1918 ca. 73'000 Verleihungen vorgenommen. Die erste Verleihung betrug 4'400 Exemplare.

Founded in:

Stiftung: 07.01.1916 durch K?nig Ludwig III. von Bayern

Awardes for:

"... als Zeichen ehrender und dankbarer Anerkennung f?r solche Person... die sich w?hrend dieses Krieges durch dienstliche oder freiwillige T?tigkeit in der Heimat besondere Verdienste um das Heer oder die allgemeine Wohlfahrt des Landes erworben haben."

Enjoy!

I would like you to contribute to this thread and am kindly asking to post yours...

Ciao,

Claudio

Hallo Gentlemen :beer:

nice Bavarian King Ludwig Crosses, :jumping::jumping:

Mine is pictured in the Collectors showcase and I add the link here:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7352&st=20

The large Cross has a reproduction ribbon :blush:, however the mini-cross is all original.

I was lucky enough to obtain 3 of these minis :jumping::jumping:

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Great pieces guys :beer: ,

Kevin, those mini's are great I would love to find one. Chris, beautiful, I had no idea that the anniversary cross existed. To have both on a bar is truly sweet. Ralph, I love the green one. I have never seen one of those. Now look what you all have done. Made me want to go look for some of these. :love:

Dan Murphy

These seem to show up much more as single mounts or unmounted. Finding them on a bar is not easy. I only have this one mounted and a loose one. The ribbons on these seem fragile compared to other awards.

Thanks for the compliment Dan. Yes, I was very fortunate to get one of these, especially mounted on a bar with the Ludwig Cross next to it, which makes for a nice comparison. Unfortunately some pretty good fakes of these started showing up a couple of years ago.

At one time, I had a complete set to this award including the award document and its? container (tube). I remember that it was awarded on the day of foundation, 7 January 1916, to an industrialist with the unlikely name of Ludolph Chillingsworth.

Ralph, that ?greenie? is undoubtedly the nicest one I?ve ever seen - superb! Does anyone have any idea as to why they went to green? Why not stay with black? And Kevin, really nice minis. I?ve often thought that the minis to this cross were unusually rare. Now I know why; Kevin?s got them all (nice ones too).

I think that it might be worth mentioning that there is another cross that is a sort of regimental jubilee medal. It has the same obverse as these other crosses; but the reverse has the date 1868 over 1918. If I make it out correctly, it is connected with the Austrian Inf. reg. no. 62.

Thank you all for what has developed into another great thread.

Wild Card

• 5 months later...

Just saw this thread now and very interesting.

I too have a "greenie" and a mini.

What is the significance of these "greenies" if there is one. I noticed Ralph has one and somebody else commented on this type.

So here is my contribution to the thread

Cheers Rob :beer:

Guest Rick Research

The general opinion, based on von Hessenthal and Schreiber's division into the three types (blackened bronze, green finished, and icky zink) is a decline in materials as the war went on. So ROUGHLY 1916, 1917, and 1918 awards by type though I am sure there was no such neat literal cutoff date by calendar.

The general opinion, based on von Hessenthal and Schreiber's division into the three types (blackened bronze, green finished, and icky zink) is a decline in materials as the war went on. So ROUGHLY 1916, 1917, and 1918 awards by type though I am sure there was no such neat literal cutoff date by calendar.

Thanks Rick :beer:

• 4 months later...