News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Reuss, Ehrenkreuz 3. Klasse mit Krone und Schwertern

Dear Forumites:

I just got from Kube a reussisches Ehrenkreuz 3. Kl. mit Kr. u. Schwertern. Althouth the piece seems to be quite ok, the crown appears to be applied later. As you can see the crown has been put together later. Can you see the soldering on the edges of the crown. What do you think; was it a common practice or do you think that the crown was applied later (upgraded)? It doesn't seem that this job has been executed so well.

I would really like to hear your opinion on this.

Ciao,

Claudio

Guest Rick Research

Can you tell by trying to look inside the crown whether it has the "Baby M?ckel Medal Bar"

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtop...ost&p=81025

sideways tube, or a normal ring?

Because "Baby M?ckel" was obviously a class that HAD the Crown and had it REMOVED to issue as the lower grade...

which would make it ironic if this was a no crown version that had a crown added.

But perhaps the "peg" that held a crown on fell out and the original wearer of this loose piece soldered the ends to keep that from happening again.

Is the crown movable, or soldered stiffly in place?

Hi Andreas,

That is the 3rd time that I have to send medals back to the above-mentioned auction house. In the past I asked him (Kube) if it's possible to have scans of some of his medals, but he said he isn't able to do it.

Like you said, the only way it's to be present at the auction and view the items personally. There is no way to tell from the tiny pictures (mostly in black and white) on his catalogue whether the medals are good or not.

This very Ehrenkreuz was depicted in colors, but the picture is so small on the catalogue that you can't see the soldering on the crown.

I guess that I have to give up buying from him... Lately I had to send him also a Pickelhaube back!

Ciao,

Claudio Ortelli

The size and shape of the crown, generally speaking, is quite similar to a mint cross sold by Hermann Historica a couple of auctions ago. The details are quite different. No doubt about the fact that the crown was added later. Furthermore I believe, although I never held in my hands another REK 3. Kl. mit Krone, that the crown must have been not stiffly fixed but movable. The ring for the band, which is not shown very clearly in my scans, is also definetely not a original but has been replaced.

It really looks bad... I am going to send it back! They should also mention such "details" like repairs, soldering or replacement of pieces of the cross on the description of the catalogue, since the pictures are useless.

More thoughts on that?

Claudio

p.s.: according to Nimmergut the REK 3. Kl. mit Krone (only) was given only 7 (!!!!) times.

Edited by Claudio

I got my Waldeck VK 3. Kl. with X from Kube and luckily it was such as described in the catalogue.

It is a pity that some firms do not send detailed scans or photos, if you ask them :angry:

A. Thies is also such a candidate - no picture of the backside when I asked for it :mad:

On the other hand Zeige offers a very good service. Whenever you ask, you receive first class photos !!!

By the way Claudio - very impressive pieces, as everything from your collection :cheers:

greetings

eitze

Guest Rick Research

I should be astounded if "7" were correct , since these were awarded by the rank/status of the recipient. The 3mKrX was given to Hauptleute, so I would expect there to be quite a few around: at least around 100 awarded or so.