Jump to content

Harry the Mole

Past Contributor
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About Harry the Mole

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
  • Interests
    My name is Steve Corbett. My user name was my nick-name in the army. I served in the Royal Artillery from 1969 to 1974. I did two tours of ops in Northern Ireland. I am interested in all aspects of military history, and so far I have had three books published on the subject. The first was based on the diaries I kept while serving in Northern Ireland, and the second book covered our regiments tour in Andersonstown. My third book was based on the diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw of the Accrington Pals. I am retired, and keep myself occupied with either my amateur radio or all my other hobbies.



Contact Methods

  • Yahoo
  1. Unfortunately the details on the documents are difficult for me to make out. But if you research the squadron in which he flew, it should give information on the type of aircraft used at the time of his death. Cheers, Steve.
  2. If the option to 'Enable Editing' appears on the top of the document, press on it and the doc will appear in it's proper form. Cheers, Steve.
  3. The only item I have which can be categorically linked to the battle of the Somme is a kodak pocket camera, once the property of Private Harold Tookey. A few years ago I did a 'blog' for Helion publishing. I trust that no-one minds me attaching it to this post, and I hope you find it of interest. Cheers, Steve Private Harold Tookey.docx
  4. Hi Kris, The set has come to a good home, and I will not be parting with it. I think that in someone else's hands it might have been broken up to sell as single medals. I will renew my search for the soldier's name soon. Cheers, Steve
  5. Gentlemen... it has been a few years since I last graced this forum, but hopefully I shall be considerably more active in the future. For your perusal, a set of 14 WW1 (and WW2) Belgian medals awarded to the same man. The main set of 11 medals are mounted on an adjustable brass rod, and there can be no doubt that these have always been together. The hidden portion of the ribbons are still very vibrant colours - whereas the exposed portions have faded. The set displays the later 'Yser Cross' rather than the medal, and the Croix de Guerre has the Lion motif on the ribbon. I had to re-mount the whole lot to the velvet card within the frame, but all the main 11 medals remain attached to the brass rod as they were done at the time. There is no name on the photograph, although the cap shows the soldier to have served with the 2nd Infantry regiment. I am hopeful that eventually I will be able to put a name to the picture, a man who has won such honours must surely be listed somewhere. I have a copy of 'LIVRE D'OR DE LA CARTE DU FEU', but so far I have not been able to trace him. Cheers, Steve. A few more pictures...
  6. Try... Grand Memorial Culture .FR
  7. I came across this image while I was trawling through a privately owned collection of WW1 photographs and diaries last Sunday. It brought to mind the very recent case of the British Army Major who had his MC taken off him for falsifying combat reports into the incident.
  8. Further to the diaries, he served throughout the war. His diary entry for 1th November 1918 is extremely revealing. He comments about being informed at 01.00 a. m. that the armistice will commence at 11.00 hrs. There is reference to how they advanced to a village and the Nuns made soup for the lads. Also mention of a French soldier being sniped by two 'Bosche' at 10.55 a. m. and how he felt that the Frenchman would probably be the last man to be killed in the war.
  9. Apologies, I've not been on the forum for a while. But the other day I went to view the diaries of a gentleman who served in the Accrington Pals. His granddaughter had got in touch with my publisher after he had placed an appeal in the Warrington Guardian the other week. My publisher was (is) working on a pet project of his to bring out a book entirely based on the diaries and letters of soldiers (provisionally) from the Cheshire and Lancashire area's. I went down to view the diaries the other day, and what an experience! I picked up one of the notebooks and opened it at a random page. It just happened to be dated 1st July 1916, 7.30am. The Pte went into detail about: "Our Battalion got over the parapet and advanced just as if they were on parade," I strongly suspect that the entry was actually written on or around the4th July, because he details the casualties - between 500 to 600 dead and wounded, and of his Company Commander being killed in the German trench. He then describes how the injured kept turning up over the next few days after... "crawling back off no mans land." The next entry is for the 5th July. none of this material has ever been seen before. After I contacted my publisher and told him of the contents, he agreed with me that this should be a book in its own right.
  10. There is also the well-known 'Big Bertha' or 'Fat Bertha as she was also known. If I remember correctly, this was also a Skoda of the type used at Liege to put the forts out of action.
  11. Here's an earlier Jager zu Pferde I obtained last February. It was completely covered in a layer of rust, but it cleaned up rather well. There is evidence of the wearer being caught in an air burst. The larger hole looks to have been caused by a shrapnel ball - part of which continued inside and went through the liner. There are also several needle-size punctures too. I doubt if the wearer would have survived! Does anyone have any thoughts about the headless Wappen? Evidence of anti-German sentiment? De-'Kaiserfied' perhaps?? Steve. http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-15217-0-54573400-1399632242.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-15217-0-77590400-1399632255.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-15217-0-01693200-1399632261.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-15217-0-84396100-1399632270.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-15217-0-16025800-1399632278.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-15217-0-10084200-1399632237.jpg
  12. Cap badge is the Machine Gun Corps. I have only ever owned one example of a known (and dated) WW1 tunic, so my knowledge on the subject is limited. But the cut of the tunic around the neck fastening seems a little odd?
  13. Quite a while ago I spotted a set of medals being offered for sale. The set were to a member of the MGC who had been awarded the MM for his part in the battle of Arras in April 1917. Included with the WW1 trio were his cap badge for the 1/6th Black Watch, and his cap badge and shoulder titles for the MGC. There was no explanation given for the missing MM, but the seller was threatening to break up the set even further if a buyer couldn't be found. Medals are not really the kind of thing I collect. But having had a long interest in WW1 machine guns and the MGC in general, I thought it would be a shame to see the items sold off as individual lots, and I decided to purchase them to stop this from happening. The medals and badges duly arrived, rather poorly mounted in a cheap and tatty picture frame. Some research into the recipient had already been carried out, but I decided to do a little more. Private Barclay James Stewart signed up for four years service with the 1/6th Black Watch Territorial Battalion on the 7th March 1914. In May 1915 his unit embarked for France. Not long afterwards he was serving in the front line. And on the 18th August 1915 he recieved a slight GSW to the neck and was hospitalised at Millencourt. In March 1916 he was sent back to England, where he transferred to 103 Coy MGC and returned to France in Septemebr 1916. He hadn't been back at the front that long before he found himself in trouble with his unit. On the 28th October he was found to be 'Smoking while on standby in the trenches.' On the 20th November he was tried and found guilty. His punishment was five days loss of pay. On 4th December he was in trouble again for 'Losing by neglect, one set of numerals.' In April 1917 he took part in the battle of Arras, and was awarded the Military Medal which was gazetted on the 18th July 1917. On the 21st September he recieved a GSW to his leg and was hospitalised. He ended his days with 91 Coy MGC in Italy before being demobbed. I took the decision to add a quality die-struck copy of the MM to his trio before re-mounting them in a better frame. Eventually I will replace the modern ribbons with something more suitable. It would be interesting to know what became of his original MM. maybe somebody in his family still has it. http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2013/post-15217-0-33280900-1366211491.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2013/post-15217-0-56735400-1366211527.jpg
  14. Oh my god. And here was me thinking that I had found a website for military enthusiasts that didn't hold political arguments on its pages. Maybe the name of the website should be changed. Because at the moment it doesn't sound much like a Gentleman's Military Interest Club!
  15. I would hazard a guess that the submarine is actually Italian - possibly of the Pietro Calvi type of boat.
  • Create New...