Wound Bagdes were first awarded in WW1 to those that had received wounds. They were issued in three grades Black, Silver & Gold. The awards were reinstituted in 1937 when the Condor Legion assisted Franco in the Spanish Civil war. These 1937 type badges were similar to WW1 badges with the addition of a swastika. The grade remained the same but no Gold badges were issued to the Legion Condor. In 1939 the design changed slightly by upgrading the helmet design. As for the grades it depending on the type of injury or how many times the individual had been wounded in action.

Here is a 1939 Silver Wound Badge, compared to a 1937 Gold Wound Badge (although not awarded for the Condor Legion these were still manufactured and issued at the outbreak of WW2 until stocks were exhausted)

There are a few fake wound badges out there. I have not seen any fake ww1 but I am sure they are out there. As for the Spanish type and 1939 type wound badge there are a few good copies out there so beware.

Generally for the 1939 type the black wound badges were hollow backed and made of brass or pressed steel. The Silver & Gold wound badges were solid backed and made of heavy tombak or lighter zinc alloy. The Silver and Gold was applied as a wash over the metal.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Hallo Gents, :beer:

just to bump this topic, I wish to ask are the requirements for the grade of TR Wound badge

posted on the forum anywhere.

I am asking because recently online I saw a picture of a Re-enactor at the CAF Airshow, who amongst the Sniper badge,

Gold Tank destruction badge, Knights Cross, Army Para badge etc..etc.. is sporting a Gold Wound badge.

He also has a very strange looking Campaign Shield. :unsure:

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Guest Darrell

Look like quite a few "Strange" decorations ... look at that RK :speechless1:

Obviously fake badges ... but I'm not sure anyone would want to wear originals of these "re-enacting". One dive into the dirt and "snap, crackle, pop".

Edited by Darrell

Hallo Gents, :beer:

just to bump this topic, I wish to ask are the requirements for the grade of TR Wound badge

posted on the forum anywhere.

I am asking because recently online I saw a picture of a Re-enactor at the CAF Airshow, who amongst the Sniper badge,

Gold Tank destruction badge, Knights Cross, Army Para badge etc..etc.. is sporting a Gold Wound badge.

He also has a very strange looking Campaign Shield. :unsure:

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

He wouldn't be standing there in that state if he had been awarded a Gold Wound Badge.

Mike