News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bundesgrenzschutz Shoulder Boards

I recently received a lot of East German shoulder boards which included what I believe to be several sets Bundesgrenzschutz (BGS) boards from different periods. They vary in size, attachment method and color (from green to hunter green to black). Some appear to have a plastic inner core. Can anyone here verify that they are all BGS boards or if some of them are possibly early East German or late TR? Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

• 2 weeks later...

What you have here is a mixture of Grenztuppen (DDR) and Vopo (Volkspolizei) shoulder boards. In DDR Grenztruppen were part of the army, unlike in the West, were they are a separate entity such as police. Therefore, as you will see on the attached picture, only lining was different from the other Waffenfarbe. The Vopo where the only ones with striped appearance, except for the field grade officers.

Their waffen farbe was a darker tint of green than Grenztruppen.

PS DDR never had a BGS, sorry.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by Hrycian

Hrycian - Thanks, I thought they might be Grenztruppen or VOPO at first. After looking at shoulderboards for sale on ebay.de I'm convinced that they are a combination of BGS and West German police. I have several Grenztruppen shoulder boards and they are not as flat, wide or as dull in the silver thread. Here is an example of a couple of GT field grade boards in my collection Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

Sorry, your first row is definetely BGS, I started typing it, but then got distracted by a phone call. Now giving it a second thought, how about Schuetzenverein. They all have green backing right?

They are all various shades of green exception of one of the company grade boards. Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

Well, here is something to keep you wondering.

But as far as dark green on field grade officers, there has been such shade for the rear services. Check out trident military Robert has a lot of stuff and info on the subject. And he is traveling places every year.

IPB Image

Edited by Hrycian