• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gentlemen, From Oldenburg comes one of the more uniquely designed Imperial German decorations - the 1907 Red Cross medal. This one, being on a bow ribbon would be one of sixteen awarded to women.

Prof. Walter Bruck

Posted Images

Finally some Oldenburg enamels in this fine thread - thanks graham, and thanks Komtur! I never (yet) had any knight's cross with swords of this order... but here's an unknown civilian's two place medal bar with the knight's cross 2nd class with crown and an additional "OK2r" that I sold recently home to Oldenburg:

R02851 - 04212 c2.jpeg

R02851 - 04212 d2.jpeg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, ccj said:

Nice photos, who’s the senior officer

The granduke Friedrich August with his wife having tea with their dentist Prof. Bruck and his wife.

Gentlemen,

From Oldenburg comes one of the more uniquely designed Imperial German decorations - the 1907 Red Cross medal. This one, being on a bow ribbon would be one of sixteen awarded to women.

OldRedX1 2.jpg

OldRedX2 2.jpg

Beautiful example of a rare award Wild Card. 

I would be very interested in discovering where the figure of 16 awarded to women comes from? As I recall, the award figures for this decoration are a subject of some debate, ranging from double digits to the low hundreds. Has a medal roll been discovered and/or published?

The reason for my interest is that I own a medal bar - shown here - with this Oldenburg decoration alongside the Schwarzburg Anna-Luisen Verdienstzeichen, the latter being bestowed solely upon women. I have always held out a faint hope that such a unique combination of rare awards may one day prove identifiable to the original recipient. 

Kind regards

PS: Incidentally, my example is also hallmarked on the back with what looks to be a 950, although I do not have it in hand to check. Examples without hallmarks are also seen - apparently production varied between bronze gilt and silver gilt.

IMG_20181222_111103.jpg

IMG_20181222_111130.jpg

Edited by redeagleorder

BlackcowboyBS and redeagleorder thank you for your kind comments.

With regard to your question redeagleorder - In his book “Der Hausorden und die Tragbaren Ehrenzeichen des Grossherzogtums Oldenburg 1813 - 1918”, Friedhelm Beyreiss states that 50 pieces were delivered by Knauer. Of these, eighteen were awarded; and of those, two were awarded to men, the remaining  sixteen, of course,  to women.

I would not be terribly concerned about how your medals are mounted. Inasmuch as this bar would have been assembled from 1934 onwards, we know how by that time the old Imperial guidelines were not strictly followed. Hopefully you will get access to the Schwarzburg Anna-Luisen Verdienstzeichen rolls to solve this mystery. Please keep us posted!

Regards,

Wild Card

Thank you Wild Card for the source of the information - much appreciated! In 2013 Dave Danner had confirmed to me on this forum that a list of recipients of the Anna-Luisen Verdienstzeichen for each of the two Schwarzburg states exists in the archives. Maybe someday after this COVID matter is over...

Regards

• 2 months later...

Here is one of my lastest arrivals. 

A miniature chain with a Oldenburg house order 1st class awarded to a Swedish chamberlain (kammarherre).

1.JPG

Back.JPG