News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 11 months later...

While we're waiting for Andy:

The badges don't usually cost much, are you talking about the enamel badges with lion and crown?

I have my Grandad's badge, he was in the ARP and I would think fire watchers had a badge too, but as Marcus says, Andy should be able to tell more.

Tony

OK!

Firstly,it depends if the badges are wartime or post war.

Are they cloth patches or metal badges?

If they are cloth patches,shoulder titles etc,these were used during both periods,the only differences being that the post war breast patches feature a lion below the crown,usually the queens crown.

The wartime ones had the letters CD below the kings crown,and the yellow/gold colour stitching on the shoulder titles varies slightly between the wartime and post war issues.

The only metal badges I know of with the wording 'Civil Defence' on them are the ones that Tony mentioned,these are all post war issue and only cost a few pounds each.

Although,some areas produced their own badges to be worn whilst wearing civilian clothes,some of these may have the wording 'Civil Defence' on them,but as I don't own any I can't be 100 % sure!

Incidentally,not many people seem to know that the Civil Defence organisation was reformed after ww2,because of the threat from Russia,and was finally stood down in 1968.

Hope this is of some help!

If you have any more questions,please ask.

Kind regards,

Andy

Hi Tony,

As far as i'm aware the term 'Civil Defence Corps' was introduced post war.

Some of these badges have the 'kings' crown and others the 'queens',which is understandable as Elizabeth II came to the throne in 1952.

Kind regards,

Andy

• 1 month later...

Hello Ralph,

I think the WWI On War Service badges were worn by people like munition factory workers to show they were doing something. I also believe the badges were unofficial and provided by the employer. I'm 100% on that though.

Tony