News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgisch Aalmoezenierskruis 1889-1920

• 1 year later...
    Guest Rick Research

Unfortunately there is nothing written on this 1st Regiment photo, but it must be from the last half of the war since the enlisted men are wearing British-made tunics:

The Captains and Major are horrifyingly elderly looking, so ? reserve officers:

Guest Rick Research

and the chaplain on right here:

I notice on Olivier's photo above that there are flat "Jerusalem" ends on his chaplain's collar crosses -- is that the distinction between a Catholic priest and (here?) a Protestant minister, or simply variations in standard insignia?

• 2 weeks later...
    • 5 years later...

I have a copy of his complete military history.

IMG_2024.jpg

A copy of his awards/

escanear0001.jpg

The Victory medal

The Conmemorative medal of the Great War

The Ijzer medal

The War Cross with palm for long presence.

The Knight Cross of the Crown Order

The Fire Cross.

Hope you like it!

GM1

Actually he had 1 wounded chevron and 5 front service chevrons. An injury in the eye due to the explosion of a granate.

Best regards.

GM1

Note the guy standing left, he is wearing some kind of cross, but not the Chaplain's Cross, and a collar indicating some clerical status (a Scripture Reader perhaps?).

• 8 months later...
    • 5 years later...
    On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2013 at 15:26, Odulf said:

Note the guy standing left, he is wearing some kind of cross, but not the Chaplain's Cross, and a collar indicating some clerical status (a Scripture Reader perhaps?).

post-7824-0-06736000-1367587535.jpg

post-7824-0-03473400-1367587558.jpg

Hello Odulf,

Attached are pics of a man in my village ( Flanders). He wears a similar cross on his greatcoat as well as on his uniform.

He was a novice priest. He was not a priest yet when the war started. Immediately when war broke out he went to Britain and went into the Belgian Army as an brancardier ( Strecher bearer). After the war he was ordained as a priest in 1926.

kind regards,

Jef

Maurice Verhaeghe Londen.jpeg

maurice Verhaeghe.jpeg