News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgium - Royal Order of the Lion

A very nice Grand Officer, do you have anymore, I have never seen example's of this order before. :beer: Thanks for posting

See on the next link of the website of the Royal Armuy Museum in Brussels all grades of the Royal Order of the Lion.

Click here

:love::jumping::love:

and for more information see the database of the museum ;)

Edited by g_deploige

• 1 month later...

If you ever want to part with that knight of the royal order of the lion.... You know where I'm...

I have bought recently a nice silver medal of the order... however no ribbon.. so If you have somewhere a spare ribbon... Please feel free to contact me.

Kind regards,

Jacky

• 2 weeks later...

p.s didn't that picture come off ebay??

Maybee if you read my post carefully I've written: "anyway this was on my computer, so I didn't have to scan it. yes I know I'm a lazy dude."

So it means that I won the auction, copied the pictures and posted them, so I didn't have to scan the decoration!

Becouse all this bla, bla and no boem, boem (the Flemish will understand this joke ;-)) I'll post a picture of a part of my collection. When I saw that it wasn't there :speechless1: I thurned in several collours :cheeky: but then I remembered that it was in a box of not labeled decorations!

:catjava:

moraal van het verhaal: niet zagen en foto's posten of ik word boos :violent:

natuurlijk kan je me steeds gerelateerde vragen stellen en moet je me niet als een arogante kl**tzak aanzien en mocht je ooit eens naar Vaanderen komen dan ben ik niet te beroerd om je op een pintje te trakteren :beer:

excuse me for my use of the Flemish language on this international forum :blush:

Edited by oli4vercammen

I only have one silver medal of the order, on the ribbon of the order of the crown :S

How much do those knights fetch???

what shall I say? depends when you are lucky or not, but normaly you'll have to pay between 150 and 200 euro, I guess. It also depends in what condition they are or what period.

Those ribbons are relatively easy to find in Belgium.

can you post a picture of the medal only?

Thank you for your answer,

I will have to scan it, however not a change this week... As I have tentams in "Colloid Sciences" and "Analytical Methods" awaiting for me :S

Maybe could you help me with the ribbon? Most preferably a nice cotton one. As I hate the "plastic sh*t"

Kind regards,

Jacky

• 4 months later...
    • 9 years later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 6 years later...

oli4vercammen, Guy and Graf previously posted images of excellent and highly desirable insignia; thank you!!

If one searches for 'issued' pieces, please be careful when buying because manufacturers continue producing Royal Order of the Lion and Order of the African Star insignia even today.   [Award generally ended in 1960 although possible if services recognized before Congo's independence].   One presently may purchase them directly via Belgian companies like P. De Greef of Brussels.  At one point in the 1960's-'80's, insignia was available in gold, silver and bronze as desired [different price points, of course].  Modern ribbons [rayon blend] available from the same sources while some ribbon dealers have silk or silk blend in stock.    

Easy giveaways for 'recent' examples are die striking and enamel quality, number of parts used in assembly, 'stoning' of enamel, overall finish and sometimes sloppy assembly.  Formerly, many believed that if the voids between the crown spikes below the crown arches were round [drilled rather than hand cut] or not cut out then the piece was a post-1960 restrike or copy.    Examples made from the 1940's? onwards apparently display both of these markers while some pieces made well after 1960 in silver or gold and perhaps bronze do have hand-cut voids.   

2 hours ago, 922F said:

Formerly, many believed that if the voids between the crown spikes below the crown arches were round [drilled rather than hand cut] or not cut out then the piece was a post-1960 restrike or copy.

Just a small remark:

Note that those "restrikes" and "copies" are legit medals of that order. In Belgium only the design is described in the Law or Royal Decree. Everybody can fabricate them as long as they follow the given design and they are considered official. You can buy and sell the freely but only wear them when you are awarded with them (and received the certificate for it).

The Royal Order of the Lion (and the Order of the African Star as well) is still an active order, althoug dorment since 1960s. It has never been abolished by Law or Royal Decree.

So this medals are real pieces of the Royal order of the Lion, not just the ones that we collectors like to buy.

In Belgium it is usually so that the recipient has to buy their own decoration. Only the certificate is awarded for free by the government. So there are many manufacturers who provide official decorations: P. De Greef, Mauquoy, Fibru, ...

What might be considered restrikes or copies are modern fabrications with only the french text. Since 1951 they must be bilingual (french-dutch). With only the dutch text (if exist) are considered unofficial.

• 3 weeks later...
    On 19/09/2022 at 02:52, VC89 said:

Just a small remark:

Note that those "restrikes" and "copies" are legit medals of that order. In Belgium only the design is described in the Law or Royal Decree. Everybody can fabricate them as long as they follow the given design and they are considered official. You can buy and sell the freely but only wear them when you are awarded with them (and received the certificate for it).

The Royal Order of the Lion (and the Order of the African Star as well) is still an active order, althoug dorment since 1960s. It has never been abolished by Law or Royal Decree.

So this medals are real pieces of the Royal order of the Lion, not just the ones that we collectors like to buy.

In Belgium it is usually so that the recipient has to buy their own decoration. Only the certificate is awarded for free by the government. So there are many manufacturers who provide official decorations: P. De Greef, Mauquoy, Fibru, ...

What might be considered restrikes or copies are modern fabrications with only the french text. Since 1951 they must be bilingual (french-dutch). With only the dutch text (if exist) are considered unofficial.

I like the order of Belgian royal lions! It is very beautiful, but the breast star rarely appears.. At the same time, I think its acquisition standard is similar to the Leopold II order? Or crown order? I have seen in the old photos that the Chinese have obtained the royal lion order

On 19/09/2022 at 11:15, Graf said:

Very interesting points

lionlux1.JPG

I like the order of Belgian royal lions! It is very beautiful, but the breast star rarely appears.. At the same time, I think its acquisition standard is similar to the Leopold II order? Or crown order? I have seen in the old photos that the Chinese have obtained the royal lion order

Sorry for what I wanted to say, but I replied incorrectly.:banger:

• 4 weeks later...