News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Neat Dave. I've never seen one in a box, and a nice box to boot.

I agree, I've always liked the look of this badge. I believe Peter Whamond had the badge and mini for sale not too long ago.

• 1 month later...

They are called the Hamburg cross I believe.

Issued to troops from Hamburg???

Anyone know for sure????

The Deutsches Feldehrenzeichen was an unofficial 'vanity' award made by the German 1914-18 War Veterans' Association based in Leipzig and Hamburg. The Association also awarded the Somme Cross, the Verdun Cross etc. to members who had served in these campaigns. The Feldehrenzeichen went to all Association members who had served at the front in the Great War. The only connection with Hamburg was that the Association had offices there.

Edited by Chairman

Robin

Just in case you wondered I only edited your post to try and work out why the quote area was not working. I have resolved it now. No censorship taking place. Promise rolleyes.gif

Welcome to the club!

• 1 year later...

AND THE REWERSE VIEW...[attachmentid=50993]

Hello:

As indicated on the reverse it is the Deutsches Feld Ehrenzeichen.

This badge was issued by a German Veterans Association and is not an official badge for which it is sometimes mistaken. It is certainly well made with decent enamel work and one sees it offered for sale fairly often.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hallo Gentlemen, :beer:

this is strictly from Post WW1, an unofficial Veterans Association issued piece, i.e the vet had to buy it.

It was issued in the Hamburg area to returned veterans of WW1, the soldier depicted on the front carrys no arms and is seen wearly trudging homeward.

It came with a mini stick-pin a paper Urkunde and its issue white cardboard box.

The item features regularly on Ebay, and is often described as a bravery award! which it is not.

In fact it rates a location along with the Kyffrhauserbund medal, the Legion of Honour, and the campaigb Crosses, Somme, Flanders, Champange, etc...etc...

My one is shown pictures and has the more normal Pin on the rear.

Kevin in Deva.

Edited by Kev in Deva

• 10 months later...

Recently these were being sold on Ebay, looking at the cast apperance of both types I suspect copies and not originals.

Firstly:

And:

At first glance this is similar to the rear in post 3 above but in my opinion the hinge assembly is totaly different.

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Brutal casting apperance of the engraved inscription:

Third version / variation:

with somewhat squashed apperance of the GES. GESCH mark:

Some kind of maker mark on the pin?

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

These are great badges and one of my first pieces in my collection, Anyone have a picture of it being worn?

Eric

Hallo Eric, :cheers:

I agree about them being great but its scary the amount of Fakes / Repro being sold as original :speechless1:

Kevin in Deva :beer:

there is another related topic recently in connection with repro copies of this award but i am darned if I can find it

I remember replying to that one, too...was it removed?

I think this thread was also the one that had the rare photo of one in actual wear, if I'm correct. :ninja:

Gaffken