News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Generalleutnant Josef Brunner's medal bar

Dear forumites:

I have since a long time (more than 10 years) this Spange of Generalleutnant Josef Brunner. At the time when the spange was sold, also lots of other stuff was sold separately. I was lucky enough to purchase just the bar, I didn't have enough money for the rest, though.

I am looking for a clear photograph of this officer; it would be great of him wearing his medal bar or ribbon bar. As you can see he was a bit naughty: he wrongly wore the DA 25 and DA 18 (the 2 crosses) instead of the correct couple (DA 25 and DA 12, golden cross and golden medal).

Medal bar description:

? Preu?en, Eisernes Kreuz 1914, 2. Klasse (OEK 1909)

? Kaiserreich ?sterreich-Ungarn, Milit?rverdienstkreuz 3. Klasse mit Kriegsdekoration

? Kaiserreich ?sterreich-Ungarn, Signum Laudis in Gold mit Kriegsdekoration

? Kaiserreich ?sterreich-Ungarn, Karl-Truppenkreuz

? Kaiserreich ?sterreich-Ungarn, Verwundetenmedaille Laeso Militi, 1-malige Verwundung

? Deutsches Reich 1933-45, DA 1. Klasse f?r 25 Dienstjahre der Luftwaffe (OEK 3857)

? Deutsches Reich 1933-45, DA 2. Klasse f?r 18 Dienstjahre der Luftwaffe (OEK 3858)

? ?sterreich 1. Republik, Kriegserinnerungsmedaille

? Ungarn, Kriegserinnerungsmedaille

Bemerkungen:

Gem?ss Auktionskatalog geh?rte die Spange dem Generalleutnant Josef Brunner.

1913 zum Leutnant bef?rdert, dienste er w?hrend des 1. WK als Kompanie Offizier im IR 98. Anfang 1917 erfolgte die Ausbildung zum Flugzeugbeobachter mit anschlie?endem Einsatz in der Flieger Kompanie 96, deren Kommandant er in der Zeit von 11.1917 ? 11.1918 war, bei gleichzeitigem Einsatz als Feldpilot.

1918 Bef?rderung zum Hauptmann, 1927 zum Major. 1918-20 Flugzeugf?hrer bei der deutsch-?sterreichischen Fliegertruppe, ab 1935 Kommandant des Flieger Regiments 1, Wien. Ab 1938 kommandiert zum Kampfgeschwader 157. 1937 Bef?rderung zum Oberstleutnant, 1939 zum Oberst. In dieser Zeit Gruppen Kommandeur im KG 55.

Bei Kriegsbeginn Offizier z.B.V., kommandiert zur Aufkl?rungsgruppe 14, Ernennung 1941 zum Generalmajor, Kommandeur der Luftwaffe bei der Heeresgruppe Nord, ab Februar 1942. 1943 Generalleutnant. 1943/44 Kommandeur der Luftkriegsschule 1, Dresden, Klotzsche u. Fliegerhorst Kommandant Dresden. Juni 1944 bis Februar 1945 h?herer Kommandeur der Luftkriegs- und Offiziersschulen, danach F?hrerreserve OKL.

Brunner geh?rte nach dem Ende der Monarchie und der ?bernahme in das Bundesheer der 1. Republik, neben Generaloberst L?hr, der mit ihm befreundet war, zu den bedeutesten Pers?nlichkeiten, welche sich dem Wiederaufbau der deutschen Luftwaffe widmeten. Er galt als Spezialist auf dem Gebiet des Luftbildwesens und der Luftaufkl?rung.

GENERALLEUTNANT JOSEF BRUNNER

Born: 30 Oct 1889 in Stadl-Paura, Ober?sterreich

Died: 15 Jan 1967 in Lambach, Ober?sterreich

Promotions:

Leutnant (01 May 1913); Oberleutnant (01 Mar 1915); Hauptmann (01 Nov 1918); Major (27 Sep 1927); Oberstleutnant (22 Jun 1937); Oberst (01 Apr 1939); Generalmajor (01 Sep 1941); Generalleutnant (01 Oct 1943)

Career:

Accepted into the Austrian Army as Company-Officer, Platoon and Company Commander in the 98th Infantry-Regiment (18 Aug 1910-23 Feb 1917)

Pilot-Training at the Flying-Officer-School in Wiener-Neustadt (24 Feb 1917-12 May 1917)

Observer-Officer in the 36th Flying-Company (12 May 1917-00 Nov 1917)

Commander of the 36th Flying-Company and Field-Pilot (00 Nov 1917-00 Nov 1918)

Pilot with the German-Austrian Flying-Troop (00 Nov 1918-00 Aug 1920)

In the 5th Infantry-Regiment and at the Infantry Technical School (00 Aug 1920-31 Mar 1934)

Detached to the 1st Flying-Regiment (01 Apr 1934-30 Jun 1935)

Commander of the 1st Flying-Regiment, Vienna (01 Jul 1935-31 May 1938)

Transferred into the German Luftwaffe (15 Mar 1938)

Detached to the 157th Bomber-Wing (01 Jun 1938-30 Nov 1938)

Group-Commander in the 55th Bomber-Wing and Airbase-Commandant Langenhagen (01 Dec 1938-30 Jun 1939)

Officer with Special Duties and Detached the 14th Reconnaissance-Group (01 Jul 1939-16 Feb 1941)

Commander of Luftwaffe with Army-Group North (17 Feb 1941-00 Feb 1942)

Commander of Luftwaffe with Commander-in-Chief West (00 Feb 1942-1943)

Commander of the Air War School 1, Dresden-Klotzsche and Airbase-Commandant, Dresden (1943-09 Jun 1944)

Higher Commander of Air War and Officers Schools (10 Jun 1944-22 Feb 1945)

F?hrer-Reserve OKL ? To the Disposal of the Flying-Replacement-Division (22 Feb 1945-08 May 1945)

Ciao,

Claudio

Claudio,

I can't believe you have this!!! :jumping::love::jumping::love: I have his WW1 aviators uniform and some documentation of his. This just blows my mind. I mean, I know it was possible it was out there somewhere, but to be able to see it posted here. OMG! You just can't Imagine my reaction when I saw the title of this thread. It was like being a kid on Christmas morning and getting what you wanted. Here is his documentation as Feld Pilot and commander of Flik 36.

IPB Image

Nice Bar Claudio. It is interesting to see that he kept his Austrian Wound Medal.

I would say this bar was put together c. 1938-1939 judging from the droop tailed eagles and the lack of a bar to the EK. The 1939 Wound badge may not have been in circulation at this time since it was only adopted in August 1939. The 1936 was for the Legion Condor only to my knowledge. I do not know if the medal could be updated to the badge like LS awards could. If so it would have applied to the WW1 German wound badge as well. I have seen plenty of retreads still wearing their WW1 badges in WW2.

What other items were they offering?

Yes Claudio, I am dying to hear what else was being auctioned. BTW, if you ever decide to part with this bar please keep me in mind. Iw ill give it a good home with it's friends. :cheeky:

Dan

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Hi Glenn, Hi Dan!

Thank you very much for your contributions. I never expected such replies, when I first posted this thread. :beer::beer::beer:

I am going to ask my brother to send me some scans of the auction where some other Brunner's items were sold, since I don't have the catalogue with me.

Ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

Here I am posting several pages of HH's auction in which Brunner's items were sold. There was a huge amount of items for sale which were spead, after this auction, to the 4 winds and maybe lost forever.

Ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio