News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have picked up a number of WW1 German medical items some time ago and keep them in this WW1 medical orderly's belt pouch. It is quite a bit larger than the 30's-WW2 pouches at about 7 inches (L)by 3 inches (W) by 4 inches (H). The hardware is all brass and it is maker marked but not dated. This would make it pre war to about 1915.

Dan

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

• Replies 50
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is cool. A bottle of Gas Gangrene serum. Gas gangrene may not be familiar to many of you, So I will explain it. When a person was wounded small pieces of his muddy uniform was often carried into the wound. With all of the pieces of God knows what (feces, bits of humanity, gas etc. )in the mud of the battlefield, this caused the wound to become infected. This type of infection closed over the wound, which turned green and then the wound would swell up from the gas produced from the infection. This could lead to the loss of a limb, but a head wound with this was usually fatal. Thankfully this was identified fairly early in the war and the good Doktor came up with this serum to fight it and thus save life and limb.

IPB Image

Dan,

That's a really nice first aid pouch. The contents are excellent. It is rare that you find one with the original contents, especially those that have not been disturbed. I especially like the wartime dated issue items. The pouch appears to me to be either a private purchase piece (for the Freiwill.Krankenpflege) or a prewar issue example. As you say it is larger than the normal WWI era issue pouches. There were two different sets of issue pouches during the war. Though they looked the same on the outside, the pouches were marked differently and had different contents. The Sanit?tsunteroffizier pouches were marked with an "S", while the Krankentr?ger pouches were marked with a "K". I have a list of the contents for each if you would like me to post it.

I have several pairs of these, but none with contents. A year or so ago, a large lot of issue Ersatz medical pouches were found. They were made from paper cloth (Papiergarn). Interestingly, they were made by the maker who seems to have supplied the majority of the leather pouches to the army, Karl Barth. Both the "S" and the "K" type pouches were in the lot. The maker of your pouch is L. Ritgen, a well-known maker of imperial leather items.

Being primarily an insignia collector, I love the medical uniform items. I have a large assortment of medical officer's shoulder insignia, collar tabs, as well as related armbands. Here are a few.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Dan,

Please list the contents on the inside lid of the pouch, if you would. Here are two more armbands. The second one is interesting, as even though it has a Prussian stamp (Stehendes Kriegslazareth d.VI Armee Korps), the only period photo I have seen of an armband with this style of cross being worn, was of an Austrian soldier.

Edited by Chip

Chip,

Thanks. I figured if no one else got a kick out of this you would. You have a great collection of armbands. I just love the one with the big Prussian eagle stamp. :jumping: I have never seen that Bevo? type for WW1.

Here is your list of contents.

1 Hartgummikasten rait buerste und seifs. (1 hard rubber box with brushes and soaps.)

5 Verbandpaeckchen. (5 First-aid Packets)

3 Kambricbinden. (not sure on this one, some kind of binding)

1 Nadeltasche. (1 Needle Bag)

Auf dem Boden: 1 Grosses dreieckiges Tuch. (On the bottom: 1 large triangular cloth.)

An der inneren Seite des Deckels: 1 Schere, 1 Nadelreiniger. (At the internal side of the cover: 1 shears, 1 needle cleaner.) What the heck is a needle cleaner?

If anyone else has some items like this pease post them.

Dan

Ah Dan,

You are starting to figure me out. No big secret....I love it all! Thanks for the list of contents. This is not the same list as that of the two types of pouches that I described. Neither of them has a leather sleeve in the lid for the scissors and needle sterilizer. The list from the Krankentr?gertasche (L) includes a loose pouch (1 Zwirntuchtasche, darin: 1 gerade Schere, 1 anatomische Pinzette).

During this period, needles were restrung and reused, so there needed to be a means of reprocessing them for the next patient, thus the needle sterilizer.

Kambric, also known as Kambrik or Kammmertuch, is a fine linen that got its name from the early German name for Cambrai (Kamerich) where it was made and was named for.

You will notice that the list on your lid does not have any of the salves and medicines that you have in your pouch. The reason is that they were not the normal contents. These types of items (Arzneimittel) are only found in the Sanit?tertasche ( R), though none of these specific things are listed. Perhaps they are from a larger case or medical backpack.

Yes, the cross on the Freiwil.Krankenpflege armband is a Bevo type weave.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Chip,

I am not sure what kind of needle sterilizer would fit in there. Assuming the longer part is for the shears, the small section is only about 1/2 inch by 4 inches MAX. Perhaps some sort of small tray that needles could be placed in and put over a fire or alcohol burner. Any ideas? So we have shears for cutting the uniform or removing old bandages, brushes and soap for cleaning wounds, needles (and obviously there would have been something for stitches), bandages for covering the wounds, linen binding (for making field made splints perhaps)I suppose my two bindings of stengthened gauze from 1916 would cover that, a large triangular bandage ( I always wanted one with the printed intsructions), and a needle sterilizer. Oh, and there is that divider in the back for a first aid booklet. :P Didn't see that did ya? It sounds like a general purpose aid mans kit. Agreed some of the things sound like what a doctor would have used. Especially the injectibles.

Dan

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Dan,

I would assume that you are correct about the needle sterilizer. It most likely was a small, thin metal tray with lid that would have slots for the needles. It would have been steam heated somehow. Now that I think about it, they could also have been hypodermic needles.

I still don't see any divider and you didn't mention it before. :P

Chip