News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here is a photo of 2 of Calgarys police.

I have the Chief Drill Sgt figured out. Canadian jump wings, Canadian Peacekeeping medal, UNPROFOR, CD1, and what I think is the Calgary Long Service medal.

It's the Staff Sgt that has me confused, British wings?, what I believe is the UNMEE, CD, unknown, Calgary Long Service medal.

I don't understand why he has a CD, and if he served in the UNMEE, which according to Darrell did not have British participation, why does he not have the Canadian Peacekeeping medal? Also can anyone ID the medal on the right of the CD?

Edited by Laurence Strong

Ok the far left medal is the Distinguished Service Award Medal for the Calgary Police Service.

Shown below

This award recognizes members who displayed exemplary service for a 12-year period by demonstrating a commitment to the Core Values of the Calgary Police Service.

All surviving sworn and civilian members who have served with the Calgary Police Service (CPS) since its inception in 1885 may apply for the Distinguished Service Award.

I also found some info about out Canadian Decoration:

The medal is awarded to the regular forces, reserve forces and to officers to the Cadet Instructors List (CIL). Service in the regular and reserve of auxiliary forces of the British Commonwealth of Nations will be counted towards the medal if the final five years have been with the Canadian Forces and no other long service, good conduct or efficiency medal has been awarded for the same service.

Still trying to figure out what that mystery medal is.

Ah mystery solved.

It's the Centennial Medal for Alberta, and his wings are Air Cadet issue. So what has been suggested to me, is that he was a CIL/CIC officer and received his wings and CD from the Cadet Corps

http://www.albertacentennial.ca/programs/medal.html

There is a roll of recipients and Jim Leungs name is on it.

A big thanks for all help ;)

Guest Darrell

Darrell do you know if police went to Ethiopia and Eriteria like in Haiti and Yugo?

Larry,

The only Canadian related info for this UN operation was found in the book "Canadian Orders, DEcorations and Medals". See attachment for details:

Lawrence

The other possibility - the one that really b***rs up researchers - is that leung was on attachment to a British or other unit for the UNMEE. They never make the papers or (even record books, often) unless they get killed but at any given time we have [pick a number from 5 to 100] officers and senior warrants on attachment to US and British units and typically if those units go active so do the attached Canadians. And, at a quick glance at the data, leung looks like the sort of multi-skilled and enthusiastic type who such postings often go to. Just a thought!

peter

Lawrence

The other possibility - the one that really b***rs up researchers - is that leung was on attachment to a British or other unit for the UNMEE. They never make the papers or (even record books, often) unless they get killed but at any given time we have [pick a number from 5 to 100] officers and senior warrants on attachment to US and British units and typically if those units go active so do the attached Canadians. And, at a quick glance at the data, leung looks like the sort of multi-skilled and enthusiastic type who such postings often go to. Just a thought!

peter

Hi peter

Thats a very good point, thanks for that :beer: I am hoping to get a reply from the CPS

• 3 months later...

I would'nt have made out the mystery medal from the photo - I was going to suggest an Omani medal from what I could make out of the design.

The Drill Sgt appears to be wearing the UNMIBH, not the UNPROFOR Medal, from the ribbon.

Why would a UN serving Canadian police officer be attached to the British army / police - surely they are part of a national police contingent within a UN Missions Civilian Police Contingent?

Just had another look - looks like I'm wrong & it is the UNPROFOR ribbon.

Edited by leigh kitchen

That does not look like an UNMEE ribbon to me. That looks like the Queens Golden Jubilee Medal (Canada). ;)

Would'nt a jubilee medal be worn after campaign but before long service awards, as in UK, rather than taking precedence over this mans campaign medals? Are UN medals counted the same as home country awards in Canada, or do Canadian medals of any type take precedence over UN medals as being foreign awards?

The order of precedence for Canada shows the Golden Jubilee Medal taking precedence over the Canadian Forces Decoration as well as the Long service medals and Centennial medal. Other campaign medals, UN, and NATO would take precedence as in the UK. It is most definitely the Golden Jubilee Medal. :cheers:

• 1 year later...

Can any of the reasearch guru's tell me if there ever was a Jim Leung (the gentleman in question) served in the British Army and would that be the medal for service in Northern Ireland?

Staff Leung was an officer with the Cadet Instructors Cadre of the Royal Canadian Air Cadet program. As a result, he would be entitled to wear his "cadet wings" as a pilot for the program. Additionally, officer of the cadre are considered part of the reserves and therefore he earned his CD after 12 years service in the Cadre.

Staff Leung was an officer with the Cadet Instructors Cadre of the Royal Canadian Air Cadet program. As a result, he would be entitled to wear his "cadet wings" as a pilot for the program. Additionally, officer of the cadre are considered part of the reserves and therefore he earned his CD after 12 years service in the Cadre.

To provide you with a break down of S/sgt. Leung's decorations: (left to right or senior to junior) Queen's Golden Jubilee medal, CD1, Alberta Police Long Service Medal (25 yrs.), and lastly the Calgary Police Long Service Medal (12yrs.) Additionally, you will note that S/sgt Leung is wearing his power wings from serving as a CIC officer with the air cadet program.

Hope this answers the questions regarding the mysterious Alberta medal...

JM

• 3 years later...