News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Médaille d'Honneur des Chemins de Fer

Michael Johnson

1 hour ago, Michael Johnson said:

I think I may have seen one lot of medals, including this one, that could have been an entire man's entitlement.  But obviously, given that this medal would be the only named one in the group, and the diplomes/certificates missing, it would be very hard to be sure.

There are some similarities with the Imperial Service Medal.  The ISM, though, is a retirement award (minimum 25 years' service), while the French medal though it can be awarded for merit, is generally for long service (25-30 years for the lowest class, depending on you job classification).  This often means that they don't get worn.

Michael

Thanks Michael,

That’s most interesting. I’ve always found it to be an exceptionally attractive medal, especially with the engine appurtenance on the ribbon. It would be nice ton see a group, but imagine that people on the railways were classified as essential workers and not conscripted. I am particularly fond of the early ones sans like very much that they’re named. Was the naming done at the mint?  We’re they awarded in a special ceremony?  Thanks, John

Actually, many of the cheminots were transferred to the 5th Regiment of Engineers, which was a railway regiment. 

I have seen some variations, but mostly they are the same style of engraving.  So I think they were done by suppliers such as the Monnaie de Paris.

Some matricules (service records) do record the issuance of war medals, but it is hit and miss.

Michael 

I've heard back from SNCF Archives.  They found four out of the five names submitted.  There is a fifty year limitation on pension information, but I'm not interested in that.

However, like archives around the world, they are backlogged, and it looks like about a year's delay.  And the results will be paper copies, so add shipping time.

I have a 1948 medal to L. Bornerie.  A little searching reveals Louis Bornerie, born 1902 at Porte-Sainte-Foy-et-Ponchapt, Dordogne, Aquitaine, France.

During the Second War he was a member of the Forces Françaises Combatantes, serving in the Resistance with the Reseau de Fer, the Railway resistance group. https://www.memoiredeshommes.sga.defense.gouv.fr/fr/ark:/40699/m005a2904450c164

The Reseau de Fer was entitled to the Médaille de la Résistance française, with rosette. http://www.france-phaleristique.com/accueil.htm Only 16 military units, communes and other bodies had this distinction. Only 4,555 medals were awarded with rosette.  He would probably have been entitled to the Croix du Combattante Voluntaire de la Résistance.

Michael

IMGP2867 (2).JPG

IMGP2866 (2).JPG

Edited by Michael Johnson

Latest purchase, a Third type, 1964 date to O. LE BOYDRE.

Geaneanet turns up Octave Le Boydre, born 1920, died 2013.  A Google search turns up a German book: Gestapo-Verbrechen im Landkreis Burgdorf und das Schwurgerichtsverfahren in Lüneburg von 1950: Eine historische Annäherung und Einordnung (Gestapo crimes in the district of Burgdorf and the jury trial in Lüneburg in 1950: A historical approach and classification).

From what I can make out (I don't read German, but the online translations make sense), Octave was captured in 1940, and was in a German PoW camp, doing forced labour.  He met a German typist, Elisabeth Hartmann, and they fell in love.  This was, of course, "Streng verboten", and Elisabeth was arrested.  Several pages are omitted from the Google Books preview, so I don't know exactly how she was punished (he was beaten with a club, abused and held underwater), but the story had a happy ending.  They were reunited, and in 2005 told their story to the author.

Octave Le Boydre is a very uncommon French name.  A Frenchman born in 1920 would have been doing his military service in 1940. While I can't positively prove I have the right man, and he died so recently that SNCF archives won't help, I couldn't help but buy it.

IMGP2884 (2).JPG

IMGP2885 (2).JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Just had my first French reunite!

Back in May I bought a silver issue 1943 dated medal to C. Lucas.  Yesterday I was looking at other medals and saw a 1953 dated gilt version to C. Lucas.

Charles Lucas was born October 28, 1898, at Cercy la Tour, in the Nièvre département of France.  It is a small town, with a population probably around 2000.  He joined the French Army 1n May of 1917, serving with the 134th Infantry Regiment.  He then joined the Paris-Lyon-Mediterranean line of the French Railways. 

Interestingly enough, a Charles Lucas, living in Cercy la Tour was awarded The Order of Social Merit September 6th, 1949.  I'm pretty sure it is the same man, although I haven't bought one to go with his pair.

Michael

LUCAS CHARLES EXTINCTION_1979.pdf

Add service file

• 7 months later...

The first lot of research from SNCF Archives arrived yesterday.  A little disappointed that the issue of medals (except for mention of  a Medaille Militaire) isn't covered.  Here's what they look like.

They were good enough to translate the railway abbreviations used in the files:

Nous vous adressons les pièces issues des dossiers trouvés.

Signification des grades mentionnés sur le relevé de carrière de Mr AUDOUBERT Pierre :

FE : Facteur à l’essai

FEC : Facteur aux écritures

CS2 : Commis de 2ème classe

CS1 : Commis de 1ère classe

CSP : Commis principal

SCBG : Sous-Chef de bureau de gare

CBG4 : Chef de bureau de gare de 4ème classe

Signification des grades mentionnés sur le relevé de carrière de Mr LUCAS Charles :

AUX MV : Manœuvre Auxiliaire

MV ES : Manœuvre à l’essai

MV : Manœuvre

AIO : Aide-Ouvrier

OPFL2 : Ouvrier professionnel de 2ème classe

Signification des grades mentionnés sur le relevé de carrière de Mr HONETTE Armand :

DR ES : Distributeur à l’essai

DR : Distributeur

XP : Expéditionnaire

Signification des grades mentionnés sur le relevé de carrière de Mr RICHERIOUX Hilaire :

CT ES : Cantonnier à l’essai

CT : Cantonnier

SCCT : Sous-Chef de Canton

CCT : Chef de Canton

CCTP : Chef de Canton Principal

AUDOUBERT PIERRE 2000_007_PLM_0046_006.pdf AUDOUBERT PIERRE EXTINCTION_1983.pdf

On 22/06/2022 at 13:22, Michael Johnson said:

I've heard back from SNCF Archives.  They found four out of the five names submitted.  There is a fifty year limitation on pension information, but I'm not interested in that.

However, like archives around the world, they are backlogged, and it looks like about a year's delay.  And the results will be paper copies, so add shipping time.

Eight months, and they sent them electronically.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Next batch arrived.  negative on all three G. Larramendys, but lots on Emile Cointo, who was a PoW.  He was in Stalag XVIIC, in Austria.  Several of the scenes from The Sound of Music were filmed nearby.

Also includes letters from his wife asking the SNCF to try to get his release for health reasons.

COINTO EMILE FERNAND LUCIEN 2002_019_PERSO_0067_012.pdf

I have just acquired a Bronze medal for Honor and Devotion, named just X Blay. After some patient work with the site Hendrik showed me, I have found out it was issued to an SNCF man in July 1948, a Xavier Blay. 

Blay Medal.JPG

I think this is probably your man: https://gw.geneanet.org/vpelletant?n=blay&oc=&p=xavier+auguste

Gives a snapshot of his service with the SNCF.

His military service record is here: https://archives.ladrome.fr/ark:/24626/sxthnj8r15f2/64c575d1-eb86-4f6c-95ae-26bb07749c3a Image 747

It indicates that he held the Carte de Combattant, which would have entitled him to the Combatant's Cross.

Coincidently, he was born on the other side of Lyon from Chaponost, where my maternal grandmother was born.  I've posted a number of times about her brother, Capitaine Marcel Verzieux.

Michael

Hi Michael that is excellent information.

Thanks once again for your help with my research. I shall have to look at Geneanet again as looks really useful.

Cheers

Richard

59 minutes ago, Rich said:

Hi Michael that is excellent information.

Thanks once again for your help with my research. I shall have to look at Geneanet again as looks really useful.

Cheers

Richard

You really have to go Premium, though.  Sadly I let mine lapse, so could not filter by birthdate, which with a common name would be a real problem.

I have found one or two of my men with the basic search - but they had unusual surnames. I can see the Premium version would be much better. You still get quite a lot of information for free.