News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with research on Manfred von Richthofen's Awards & Date

I believe my late friend Neal said that Baron Richthofen's Carl Eduard Medal was actually INCORRECTLY inscribed with the date " 13 11" on the 1916 bar.

In any event although he was sent it pronto, the "official" date for the his Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha Carl Eduard Medaille 2. Klasse mit Schwertern was

30 DECEMBER 1916, number 67 on the roll, which shows him as "Leutnant Ulanen Regiment 1 zur Zeit Jagdstaffel II 1. Armee."

Rick,

Neal relates in page 184 of Aviation Awards, Vol V, that following the action on Nov 9, 1916, in which both MvR and Hans Imelmann participated in destroying the bombers that were heading to Vracourt, where Duke Carl Eduard?s Headquarters were located, the Duke bestowed both men with his Duke Carl Eduard medal in silver with swords and date clasp.

I have scanned the documents that appear on page 184 on Neal?s book and they show the following:

The document is dated Nov 10, 1916 and is written by the Duke?s adjutant to the Privy Council authorizing both awards to Richthofen and Imelmann. The Privy Cabinet received the document on Nov 13, 1916

There is a clear indication that the clasps should bear the date of the event which is Nov 9, 1916.

The ribbons were presented immediately by the Duke himself.

The documents show that the medals were sent to both men on Nov 16, 1916 and the bestowal documents were sent to Detachment II I. Army on April 26, 1917. Unfortunately Imelmann never received it as he fell in combat January 23, 1917.

Neal (also my friend - miss him much!) indicates that in the photo of MvR?s ordenskissen, the date on the clasp is clearly seen, and that it shows the date Nov 11, 1916 instead of Nov 9, 1916 as it should have been.

Thank you very much for all your efforts in carrying such a research, and for sharing your knowledge with us. This information is vital for all of us who love Imperial awards.

George

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by GMU