News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Carnegie Hero Fund Medal

Gents,

I had the pleasure of interviewing a Belgian recipient of the Silver Carnegie Hero Fund Medal last Monday and thought a couple of pictures here wouldn't do any harm as one doesn't often encounter this award :P

For the man's complete story and entire medal group, I refer to my website at Hendrik's Medal Corner in the "Hall of Honours" section there but here's why he was awarded it :

"Obviously the most striking medal within this group is the rare Silver Carnegie Hero Fund Medal which August De Wit earned in 1963 : on Sunday, 29 September of that year, close to midnight, August and his team were in their patrol car when they received a call that a car had plunged into a nearby canal. Upon arrival on the scene, they found the car was totally submerged, three passengers had already managed to save themselves and a fourth passenger was still standing on top of the car, yelling the driver was still inside. August - who had already discarded his uniform in the car - immediately jumped into the cold water of the canal and dived to the sunken car. While inside the car trying to get hold of the unconscious driver, the car door closed behind him and he had to free himself to go up for air. On his second dive, he got hold of the driver's jacket but it slipped off its wearer. After coming up for air again, August finally managed to get the man out with his third dive into the car. Once ashore and despite abrasions to both his legs, an exhausted August immediately applied mouth-to-mouth resuscitation until relieved by his brother who, living nearby, had appeared on the scene in the meantime. In the end an ambulance took the still unconscious driver to hospital from where he was later discharged after his full recovery."

Cheers,

Hendrik

[attachmentid=52365] [attachmentid=52367]

Hendrik

Very nice indeed! A year or so ago I had a citation for a Carnegie medal come through my hands, in a batch of "stuff [his] father left [him]" but no sign of the medal. :(

Also had his dad's WWII medals, some badges - NCO and commissioned - and souvenirs of the Dutch girl he "should have married". :o No pictures of the Canadian wife who produced said son. Weird!

As I recall, the citation was for the early 1930's, for saving a swimmer in distress at a park in western Canada. I meant to go look up the medal but never did, so thanks for posting your heroic polieman's example!

Peter