News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 175
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

here is a funny one.... he seems to have an officers Feldzeichen on the helmet.

It was on ebay as a bavarian Jäger, but from the collar badges I think not. Must be Schneeschu bstln?

Hello Chris:

A terrific photo. The MVK II with Swords is very clear in this photo. Looking at the uniform, he is definately an NCO of the Schneeschuh Bataillon. Unfortunately, I do not have enough knowledge regarding uniforms to comment regarding his shako.

Best regards,

"SPM"

he seems to have an officers Feldzeichen on the helmet.

Chris,

There were private purchase ones that looked somewhat similar in black-and-white but did not have bullion. Quite normal for this rank. Exceptionally nice picture!

VR

Joe

The ID of the unit could depend on the date of the photo. After May of 1915 the Bavarian Schneeschuh Batls. became battalions of the Jäger Regiment Nr.3. I believe, at that time the name Schneeschuh was officially dropped and they just became the 1st and 4th battalions of the new Jäger regiment.

Chip

• 2 weeks later...

OK..... its not as nice as a Fieldgrey jacket.... but here, just arriving today.... is a 2nd Bavarian Jäger battalion tunic.

Based on some photos seen, the men in the Ersatz battalion up until 1916 were still wearing these during training... and Jägers back home on leave had them on as well. I put the medals on as I have them in a Photo of a man wearing the blue jacket on leave.

This is THE non-fieldgrey jacket I need. I usually dont like them at all.

OK..... its not as nice as a Fieldgrey jacket.... but here, just arriving today.... is a 2nd Bavarian Jäger battalion tunic.

Based on some photos seen, the men in the Ersatz battalion up until 1916 were still wearing these during training... and Jägers back home on leave had them on as well. I put the medals on as I have them in a Photo of a man wearing the blue jacket on leave.

This is THE non-fieldgrey jacket I need. I usually dont like them at all.

That is super, super sweet, Chris! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

I much prefer the "in living color" days to the field gray ones! :D

• 2 weeks later...

actually, i would have loved to have been there when you

opened the shipping box!!

joe

It did not come in a box :-)

A guy in Aschaffenburg had it and he kept me hanging on for ages and ages before he sold it to me...

On the new Uniforms section I have it up with some period photos of them being worn during the war...

http://www.kaiserscross.com/286801/293101.html

Best

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

he seems to have an officers Feldzeichen on the helmet

Because as a Senior Noncommissioned officer (Unteroffizier mit Portepee) he was entitled to wear the officers' pattern Feldzeichen.

See below from paragraph 139 of the Bavarian Bekleidungsordnung of 21 January 1904 concerning the rank distinctions of the Feldwebel/Wachtmeister and Vizefeldwebel/Vizewachtmeister (Last two lines):

post-162-011019900 1285407184_thumb.jpg