News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 175
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris,

What is the name on the officer's Sterbebild and his date of death?

Nice passes. I have two from the regiment.

Interesting that Grühle became a Feldhilfsarzt in 1918.

Chip

Hi,

Gruhle was a medical student before the war and was with the Ski battalion basically from day one, did the whole Vogesen thing, then Tirol, then in December 1915 during the advance in Serbia he had stomache sickness and feet (I assume frostbite?) . By January 1916 he was in Münich and spent the rest of the war working in Hospitals becoming a Feldhilsarzt.

Of course I would have liked Verdun in there somewhere,. but the veeery early stuff is nice as well ;-)

Will look up the officer today when I get a moment.. need to find the card

Hi

Does anyone have a period picture of the Rucksack these soldiers wore preferably Bavarian I'm also translating the Kraus book bit by bit. There are so many variants of that 'style' always found it confusing the Kraus diagrams don't help most look to be done in freehand.

Anyone?

Regards

Eric

Eric,

I've got some pictures of original rucksacks, from various sites on the Internet. As you say, there doesn't seem to be one standard pattern. I have one example in my collection. It is not unit marked, but there is a leather goods manufacturer's stamp and a wartime date.

Chip

Thanks Chris,

Once I had the date, I realized that I have seen this SB before. I have it marked in my unit history. I put a little pencil "tic" mark by every example from the regiment that I have seen. That's a particularly nice one, for a fellow that obviously served in the regiment from 1915 until he was killed, only a month before the armistice.

Chip

• 8 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Good work on this last one Chris. His card gives the 5.Jäger Rgt., which is an error. The picture gives it away, but you can check the Ehrentafel to confirm and he is there.

Chip

Gents

Found this cool picture at rest but no idea on the unit btw what is the German name for those long staffs the boys walked with I wonder today how many are out there?

Cheers

Eric

oops sorry about the other pic, me fingers slipped.

Edited by Hoss

• 7 months later...

Just picked up this framed Photo of a guy from the 2nd Bavarian Jäger Battalion.

From the other 2 i have seen, these were wartime, bought by the men for the family back home, a standard print with the guys face stuck on it... USUALLY the top has "Weltkrieg 1914-15" and the bottom has the guys name and 2nd bavarian jäger Battalion...

In this case some idiot trimmed it, removed the name so it could fit in the frame.....

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...