News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

U-boat grouping U 37, U 508

Hello,

here are some scans of my U 37 - U 508 "Paul Denkner"-group. Interesting to compare to Simons "very early U-boat grouping U 37, U 107" post!

U-37 left Wilhelmshaven under the command of Werner Hartmann on 30th Mar 1940 for operations around Norway and the Hebrides and returned more than two weeks later to Wilhelmshaven on 18th Apr 1940.

Werner Hartmann hit three ships on this patrol.

First his "Polartaufschein" from the 04.04.1940.

Edited by Monsun

U-37 left Lorient under the command of Asmus Nicolai Clausen on 30th Jan 1941 for operations SW of Spain and returned to Lorient on 18th Feb 1941 after more than two weeks on patrol.

Asmus Nicolai Clausen hit three ships on this patrol and all of them were in convoy, all of them from convoy HG-53.

After that operation Maschinenobergefreiter Paul Denkner was awarded with the EK1. It was his 8. patrol on U 37!

On the 7th Jun 1943, U-508 left Lorient under the command of Georg Staats and arrived back at Lorient just over fourteen weeks later on 14th Sep 1943.

Georg Staats hit three ships on this patrol, two of these ships were in convoy, both of them were from convoy ST-71.

Here are "Paul Denkner" in Lorient at the 14th Sep. 1943 just after he get his german cross in gold!

And this was the end only two months later.

U-508 left St. Nazaire under the command of Georg Staats on 9th Nov 1943. The boat was sunk at the 12 Nov 1943 in the Bay of Biscay north of Cape Ortegal, Spain, by depth charges from a US Liberator aircraft (VB-103/C). 57 dead (all hands lost).

Guest Rick Research

After an extraordinary career, fate snatched him in the end... his luck just finally ran out.

I had not realized that Petty Officers that low in rank DID receive German Crosses-- an interesting thread! :beer:

Hi Monsun,

The photo you placed on the Taufschein signed by Clausen is taken by PK.Mann Kempen.!

Once I did have the Wehrpa? and photo album of Max Henschler Obermaschinist on U-508, on the for-last warpatrol Kemper took a lot of photos, including the one you show us here.

yours

Eric-Jan Bakker

A real nice grouping you have there!

I had not realized that Petty Officers that low in rank DID receive German Crosses-- an interesting thread! :beer:

Privates could even receive the DK.

I have seen some pictures of privates with DK and RK,

If I can find them I will post them.

Best regards,

Andr