News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Information required on a FOUNDER 1926 MEDAL.

Kev in Deva

Hallo Gentlemen,

a Romanian friend of mine recently obtained a Medal, see attached pictures please.

To the front: the top ribbon bar has the word FOUNDER under this woven into the ribbon intertwined BRAO ? over C L E, on the bottom ribbon bar is the date: 1926.

Under this hangs the medal with intwined Intials, around this is engraved: ABBEY LODGE, PERSHORE, No. 5887.

To the rear is a large pin, and on the backof the medal is a Gold Hallmarked plate with the Inscription:

PRESENTED TO BRO. H. JAKEWAYs KOM, For Services Rendered As FOUNDER 9th May 1927.

The hallmarks are:

A rectangle with LS.

A Lion Rampent.

A Tiger Head.

A Letter "L".

On the reverse of the leaf scroll reading from left to right is the maker name: SIMPSON & CO, LONDON, 56 YORK ?? N I.

Any information would be appriciated.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Kevin - could the intertwined "BRAO" be "RAOB" - Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes? And could "CLE" be "GLE" - Grand Lodge of England?

Tom

Tom, :beer:

your suggestion makes sense to me, upon close inspection the BRAO is RA O B and the CLE is G L E.

These items are way out of my area of collecting I am trying to id it for a Romanian friend, all I know is he bought it recently via Ebay UK. for about 9 GB. Pounds.

Edited by Kev in Deva

Kevin - the RAOB Grand Lodge England website has in its sidebar menu an appeal for old jewels, with a contact address for the museum. (There is also a mention that old jewels of no specific interest to the museum will be passed for disposal for the Grand Lodge Benevolent Fund.)

If your friend is in the UK, he might write to the address given to ask for advice about the history of the jewel.

The website can be found here.

Tom

Edited by Tom Morgan

Kevin - the RAOB Grand Lodge England website has in its sidebar menu an appeal for old jewels, with a contact address for the museum. (There is also a mention that old jewels of no specific interest to the museum will be passed for disposal for the Grand Lodge Benevolent Fund.)

If your friend is in the UK, he might write to the address given to ask for advice about the history of the jewel.

The website can be found here.

Tom

Hallo Tom, :beer:

many thanks for your helpful suggestions, :jumping: I have sent an email for my friend as he is not so hot at typing in English.

Great medal!

Pershore indeed had an "Abbey Lodge" down the street from the actual abbey.

Hallo Ulsterman, :beer: can you tell me in fact where Pershore is located?? as I stated this medal is now in the possesion of a Romanian student friend (although why a long-haired, skateboarding student, who, thinks he is a cool- type, bought it is unknown to me) :unsure::P

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hallo Ulsterman, :beer: can you tell me in fact where Pershore is located?? as I stated this medal is now in the possesion of a Romanian student friend (although why a long-haired, skateboarding student, who, thinks he is a cool- type, bought it is unknown to me) :unsure::P

Hi Kev,

I can help you out. Location of Pershore is approx 30 miles south of Birmingham in the Vale of Eversham.

Regards

PRESENTED TO BRO. H. JAKEWAYs KOM, For Services Rendered As FOUNDER 9th May 1927.

KOM...Knight of Merit....3rd degree of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes...each founding member would have received on of these, maybe only 15 to 25 were issued.

KOM... Knight of Merit.... 3rd degree of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes... each founding member would have received one of these, maybe only 15 to 25 were issued.

Many thanks Humber, :beer:

I presume the medal is in Gold, a friend say its Gold Plated, is there any way to tell from the stampings / Hallmarks?? or get an idea of value historically and monetary, I did send an email to the website connected with the RAOB addressed to the museum curator but sad to say they did not reply :(

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Many thanks Humber, :beer:

I presume the medal is in Gold, a friend say its Gold Plated, is there any way to tell from the stampings / Hallmarks?? or get an idea of value historically and monetary, I did send an email to the website connected with the RAOB addressed to the mueum curator but sad to say they did not reply :(

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Silver

London

Price - not much, a few pounds maybe