News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yugoslavian Marshal Josip Tito

• 5 months later...

I'm not sure that these scans are going to be good enough to read, but here goes.

This booklet "To Heroes of Revolution in War and Peace" was published by Niro "Zadrugar", Sarajevo, January, 1979, it was translated for me from photocopies when I picked it up in Banja Luka about 7 years ago, I don't really want to risk scanning the original (other than the colour plate of Tito as the pages are liable to come loose - here are photocopies of the list of Tito's awards & a translated list.

The Romanian Order of Michael the Brave was closed in October 1944, so he must have received the successor, the Order of Michael the Brave with Swords.

The entire story is much more complicated. In fact, Tito paid a state visit to Romania in December 1947. At that time he still was considered the strong man of Balkans, and the communist government wanted to impress him, and decided that King Michael should officialy decorate him with all three grades of Michael the Brave, plus Collar of Carol I. However, something went wrong. Allegedly, King Michael refused to sign the decrees. Since Anna Pauker and her Party cronies already informed Tito about the intention to award him with highest Romanian orders, they had no choice but to present him with insignia, but without the decrees. That is why these two sets of insignia in his collection in Belgrade are not accompanied by any relevant awarding document. The incident is believed to have sped the communist decision to get rid of annoying King Michael.

Dragomir

The entire story is much more complicated. In fact, Tito paid a state visit to Romania in December 1947. At that time he still was considered the strong man of Balkans, and the communist government wanted to impress him, and decided that King Michael should officialy decorate him with all three grades of Michael the Brave, plus Collar of Carol I. However, something went wrong. Allegedly, King Michael refused to sign the decrees. Since Anna Pauker and her Party cronies already informed Tito about the intention to award him with highest Romanian orders, they had no choice but to present him with insignia, but without the decrees. That is why these two sets of insignia in his collection in Belgrade are not accompanied by any relevant awarding document. The incident is believed to have sped the communist decision to get rid of annoying King Michael.

Interesting story, Dragomir, wherefrom did you find it? Do you have some more details?

Anyhow, I do not think that this is the reason why they forced King Mihai to abdicate. They got this idea quite a long time before. And it is said that the most important fact that sped things up was the announcement of King Mihai that he intended to get married. And to make things worse, this came after he surprisingly returned from the marriage of Princess Elisabeth of Great Britain when the communist government hoped that he would voluntarily remain in exile.

• 3 weeks later...

Marshal Tito with all his YU-Awards - maybe last photograph

Gentlemen,

this photograph shows Marshal Tito with all his YU-Awards as minis, but wearing the "Order of Freedom" in full size at his right chest.

It was taken at his last birthdayparty in may 1979 - funny cake ;) .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

"Order of Freedom": Full decoration AND mini :unsure:?

Gentlemen,

at my attached photograph, I see, that comrade Tito has his "Order of Freedom" AND the corresponding mini at his jacket.

Did I see right :unsure: ?

Christian

You did see well! Whoever was in charge of Tito's wardrobe was much more concerned with the pretended elegence then with regulations. Order of Freedom should have been worn on left, not right breast. Also, wearing of miniatures on uniform was not previsioned by any state or army regulations, and it was apparently a whimsical invention of Tito, which was followed by sycophants after his death. I can not remember to have had seen anyone daring to sport similar miniatures upon uniform during his lifetime. Similar to the peageon-gray shoes worn with uniform, this was his personal freedom to do as he pleased, without any regard to rules or laws.

Dragomir

You did see well! Whoever was in charge of Tito's wardrobe was much more concerned with the pretended elegence then with regulations. Order of Freedom should have been worn on left, not right breast. Also, wearing of miniatures on uniform was not previsioned by any state or army regulations, and it was apparently a whimsical invention of Tito, which was followed by sycophants after his death. I can not remember to have had seen anyone daring to sport similar miniatures upon uniform during his lifetime. Similar to the peageon-gray shoes worn with uniform, this was his personal freedom to do as he pleased, without any regard to rules or laws.

Dragomir

Dear Dragomir,

many thanks for your confirmation :cheers: .

So, either full decorations or only minis - and black shoes ;) .

I love that special photograph with the funny cake and all the big buba :P . That cake suits more to the birthday party of my seven year old daughter Milica, than to the old Marshal's last birthday. I also like the looks of the lady with the plate to Marshal Tito :D .

The death & funeral of Tito had been really something and Yugoslavia felt, that now the NATO (with strong support from "neutral" Austria) will try to crack great Yugoslavia into small tiny pieces :mad: . Belgrade had been one of the most important capitals in the world in the past. Now it is only a fine & pleasant location to live - if you have some money ;) .

Christian