News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What would you like to see in this section of the forum ?

Paul L Murphy

Hi folks,

As your newly appointed Club Host (the gods must be crazy!) I would like to find out what you would like to see in this section of the forum. Ideas and suggestions should obviously be kept within the respectable boundaries of Japanese militaria !

A few ideas of mine, which I will work on over the next few weeks if there is membership interest, are as follows : -

1) Standard translations of award certificates (most only change the date, number and recipient)

2) Lid inscriptions showing the difference between the types of lid for the different time periods

3) Something about war bonds (this is just an excuse for me to show off some of mine but they are very pretty) :love:

4) Examples of Japanese ranks, titles, dates etc. in Japanese with English translations beside them. Not sure how to embed pictures in the post rather than attaching them so this could be a challenge (or a very long thread) !

and lots and lots of show and tell so we can all get very excited :jumping::jumping:

My area of strength, as those who know me are already aware, are orders, decorations, medals, badges and documents. I am so-so on cloth, moderate on uniforms and parade swords, and totally lousy on hand made swords etc.

All suggestions regarding what you would like to see (and would not like to see) are welcome so please give me your suggestions.

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Congrats on your new position! Anyway, as someone just starting out in Japanese ODM, I'd really like to see a thread dedicated to fakes of all the orders and medals (and of any other type of Japanese militaria if fakes exist). I hear many Japanese order fakes are easy to spot, but maybe I'm mistaken. A consolidated reference thread would be a good idea I think.

Cheers,

Matthijs.

Welcome indeed Paul ! I am sure this new Japanese sub-forum will be a roaring success under your guidance.

For me, an absolute "Yes" on number (2), the Lid Inscriptions. I am never sure if the time period of the awards inside those I have match the time period of the inscritions on the lids or if there has been a "mix and match" at some time.

And a warm welcome from me, Paul. :beer:

For some time I've been thinking of acquiring some examples of Japanese air force badges. I've been doing some research into the subject, but knowing next to nothing in this area, any help on determining original from fake would be much appreciated.

Many thanks. Some helpful feedback. I will start off with lid inscriptions since I have all the material I need here in Moscow and can put together the information pretty easily.

On the subject of fakes, I need to have front and back photos of the genuine badges for this to be really meaningful. Mine are back in Ireland so it will be Christmas before I can take all the photos I need. In the meantime I will put together what I can since this seems to be one area where there is a lot of interest.

Are there any specific air force badges that you have been looking at John ? Apart from wings, which are heavily faked, the air force did not have that many specific badges.

Regards,

Paul

Edited by Paul L Murphy

"Are there any specific air force badges that you have been looking at John ? Apart from wings, which are heavily faked, the air force did not have that many specific badges."

Hi Paul,

Specifically pilot?s graduation/qualification badges for both officers and enlisted men. I believe the officer?s come in silver and the EM in bronze? I also believe there was an Observers badge in the form of a stylized eagle?

• 2 months later...

Gordon,

I have the Sen Sho, but not the Ko Sho but unfortuantely I do not have a decent photo of it. I will be back in Ireland over Christmas and I will try to dig it out and take a photo. If not, I will try to sort one out after I move to London in January.

It is actually quite a small badge, and very very difficult to find.

Regards,

Paul