News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Research Order of the Great Patriotic War #130658

Afternoon Gents.

Some of you may remember that, on the advice of members here, I had some research done on pieces in my collection. I am a beginner to this, and despite having bought a few Russian phrasebooks, it's hard going!

Here is the paperwork for a OGPW 1st I own - I can see that he also won the 2nd class, and another order - which one I'm not sure? If anyone can help with translating all this and giving me some info on the man's story, I would be most grateful.

Cheers,

Gilbert

Edited by deptfordboy

Hi Gilbert,

unfortunately i can only help with the awards on the award card.

He got

Order of the Red Star Nr. 598.701 on 5.7.44

Order of the GPW 1st class Nr. 130.658 on 24.2.45

Order of the GPW 2nd class Nr. 480.236 on 7.5.45

I hope, Rick or one of our russian members can help you further...

best,

Gerd

I know the feeling, Gilbert. So many wondrous things must be there, but . . . .

This is one reason I usually ask the Honoured Researcher to prepare a translation -- it will at least be a start!

Edited by Ed_Haynes

1. Last Name:

2. First Name, Middle Name: Wladimir, Aleksjewitsch

3. Military Rank:

4. Sex: male

5. Year of Birth: 1920

6. Place of birth:

7. Party Membership:

8. Education: secondary

9. Nationality: russian

10. Service in the Civil War, in later Battles in Service of the USSR and in

the Great Patriotric War (when and where): in Red Army since 1939

11. Place of Service and position occupied when awarded: 1266 Rife Regiment belong to 385 Rifle Division

12. Current place of Service and position:

13. Home address: Stadt xxx , Stra?e Grusinskaja 12b Wohnung 8

14. Awards:

Order of the Red Star Nr. 598.701 - 5.7.44

Order of the GPW 1st class Nr. 130.658 - 24.2.45

Order of the GPW 2nd class Nr. 480.236 - 7.5.45

A first try. I hope somebody with better russian knowledge correct the mistakes.

regards

Andreas

Edited by Alfred

.... I hope somebody with better russian knowledge correct the mistakes.

regards

Andreas

If I may, here are some corrections and additions:

1. Last Name: Pasman

3. Military Rank: Senior Lieutenant

6. Place of birth: Smolensk oblast', Monastyrschenskij rajon, village Krutaja

7. Party Membership: not a member

8. Education: "middle" (= 10 grades which allow to enter university)

11. Place of Service and position occupied when awarded: CO of Communicatiosn Platoon, 2nd Rifle Btln., 1266 Rifle Rgt.

12. Current place of Service and position: Deputy Company CO

13. Home address: City of Gor'kij , Grusinskaja Street 12b Appartment 8

14. Awards: also Medals for the taking of K?nigsberg, and Victory over Germany

In a nut shell:

Sr.Lt. Pasman received the OGPW 1st Class for upkeeping communications between Btln and Rgt HQs and their rifle companies during an advance. In the period of Jan. 23rd till 29th 1945, he repeatedly reestablished commo lines severed by the enemy. When the fighting was heaviest, he personally went out upto fifteen times to reestablish commo, and in doing so has displayed gallantry and courage.

Best regards,

Albert

Edited by Albert

Guest Rick Research

Graduated as Lieutenant 10 June 1941 but most peculiarly was not promoted to Senior Lieutenant until 9 October 1944. (Most Class of 1941 who survived were promoted in 1942).

Discharged to the reserves 26 May 1946.

He read and wrote French.

Red Star was per decree of 385th Rifles Division, both Patriotic Wars per decrees of 70th Rifles Corps.

easy enough to fill in all the details-- just time consuming.

Back later, in what gap I have in doing unpublished german WW1 award rolls transcription/typing/research.

Graduated as Lieutenant 10 June 1941 but most peculiarly was not promoted to Senior Lieutenant until 9 October 1944. (Most Class of 1941 who survived were promoted in 1942).

Hello Rick,

Interesting observation! Possibly because he was considered not 100% trust worthy for having been in a pocket from 16.10.1941 till 15.03.1942. What do you think?

Best regards,

Albert

Guest Rick Research

I think so. In scan 7, box 6 states that he is excluded from the ranks of membership in the CPSU because he had been "encircled," and there it is, the dreaded Something Filled In in Box 11.

His personnel file with the stamp sized photo shows him entering the Voronezh Military School of Signals 1 September 1939 and being assihned 10 June 1941 as signals platoon commander of 390th Rifles Regiment/89th Rifles Division. It then gets scribbly, ending with a note about SOMETHING 28 September 1950 by Moskovsky Raion MilComm in Riga.

Duh, maybe a guy should take the time to look at everything. This is getting interesting:

From 16.10.1941 till 15.03.1942 Pasman lived in his home area which was occupied by the Germans. During that time he was a partizan. After he had gotten to the Soviet side he got demoted to private and put into an NKVD camp for a check "gosudarstvennaja spetsial'naja proverka". Only on 30.03.44 he got reinstated.

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Oh my.

Scan 9 with 1943+ stamp sized photo says

25.8.39 Student at Voronezh Military School of Signals

25.5.41 Signals Platoon commander 390th Rifles Rgt, 89th Rifles Div, 19th Army (illegible)

10.6.41 same again but Western Front

15.10.41 went into encirclement, PARTISAN with Group... & 2 .... Part(isan) Br(iga)de

15.3.42 Partisan something with Groups scribbly and another scribbly

10.11.42 for recovery of health at Hospital 2979, city of illegible

18.1.43 "Statesomething" (abbreviation word) at SPECIAL CAMP OF THE NKVD OF THE USSR No 174 in city of illegible.

Being :unsure: "debriefed" presumably :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Guest Rick Research

Yes indeed... Albert and I are typing and posting simultaneously, so I'll go away for a while. Spent the first half of today on scribbly German, so will take a rest from scribbly Russian!

There is a page showing slowly being promoted from private back through sergeant as he was "rehabilitated."

And people ask "is research WORTH it??????????????????????????????????"

Oh . . . quite ominous stuff.

:unsure:

Not anymore. On June 10th 1941, at the outbreak of war, he already was a Company Commander. Then he got "encircled" which in this context means lived under German occupation. This makes him automaticaly a traitor even though he was a partizan. So it took him some time to get reinstated but he remained "stigmatized" and ended up at lower rank Platoon Commander and Sr.Lt.) at the end of the war than he was at the beginning (Company Commander; no ranks at that time but equivalent to Captain).

Edited by Albert