News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

DDR VOPO Generals shoulderboards

Hi all,

Was just checking my references for other things and happened to look at the DDR generals boards. For single pip the pip is always further towards the end... at least for the Army, Navy and AF. Wouldn't this be the case for the VOPO as well? And if so I wonder if perhaps another pip should be added towards the end with the proper spacing and that these should be one higher in rank? And if that's the case I guess I'll have to be on the hunt for DDR General's pips.

Any opinions would be most welcome.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Dan,

The position of the star on your boards is ok. For some reason the VOPO generals put the single star in the centre of the baords while the NVA generalmajor officers always had there star at the outer edge of the shoulderboard. All my VOPO generalmajor uniforms have the star in the centre including the shirt sleeve order. Here is a phot of the boards on one of my tunics.

Regards,

Gordon

(quote name='Hauptman' date='Sep 30 2006, 12:42 ' post='111573']

Hi Paul,

Haven't received yet but will check when they come in. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Dan,

The position of the star on your boards is ok. For some reason the VOPO generals put the single star in the centre of the baords while the NVA generalmajor officers always had there star at the outer edge of the shoulderboard. All my VOPO generalmajor uniforms have the star in the centre including the shirt sleeve order. Here is a phot of the boards on one of my tunics.

Regards,

Gordon

(quote name='Hauptman' date='Sep 30 2006, 12:42 ' post='111573']

Hi Paul,

Haven't received yet but will check when they come in. :beer:

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for posting that pic and passing along the info on these. Sets my mind at ease. Can't wait for them to arrive... hoping by Saturday (knock on wood!). Now looks like I'll need to get a set of the collar tabs as well. :love::love::jumping::jumping:

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Dan,

Not that I want to through cold water on your enthusiasm, but both the shoulderboards and the collar tabs have been heavily repro'd so be cautious in what you buy.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for posting that pic and passing along the info on these. Sets my mind at ease. Can't wait for them to arrive... hoping by Saturday (knock on wood!). Now looks like I'll need to get a set of the collar tabs as well. :love::love::jumping::jumping:

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Dan,

Not that I want to through cold water on your enthusiasm, but both the shoulderboards and the collar tabs have been heavily repro'd so be cautious in what you buy.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I guess the best I can do is post good scans of them, front, back, etc., when I receive them (hopefully today or tomorrow... knock on wood) and we can go from there. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks, :beer:

Dan,

Sounds like a plan. I'll do my best to help here by comparing them with my own. One thing to look for on the boards is that repros often have a looser twist to the cords than the real thing. Problem here is that you need a guaranteed good pair to hold in your hands to compare.

Went to my first Hungarian Militaria Show today. Very interesting. Small venue but packed with vendors and buyers. Came home with a nice early (in silver) second class Waffenbruderschaft medal. Also bought all three classes of the Hungarian Waffenbruderschaft medal. I've been looking for the Hungarian ones for some time.

Cheers,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I guess the best I can do is post good scans of them, front, back, etc., when I receive them (hopefully today or tomorrow... knock on wood) and we can go from there. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks, :beer:

Dan,

Went to my first Hungarian Militaria Show today. Very interesting. Small venue but packed with vendors and buyers. Came home with a nice early (in silver) second class Waffenbruderschaft medal. Also bought all three classes of the Hungarian Waffenbruderschaft medal. I've been looking for the Hungarian ones for some time.

Cheers,

Gordon

Gordon, What great luck. I spend 6 months in the late 90's in Kaposvar, Hungary and scoured all of the local flea markets and found nothing NVA related. There was however a fair bit of Soviet stuff, but almost all modern and common. Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

Dan,

Sounds like a plan. I'll do my best to help here by comparing them with my own. One thing to look for on the boards is that repros often have a looser twist to the cords than the real thing. Problem here is that you need a guaranteed good pair to hold in your hands to compare.

Cheers,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Okay, got these a couple of days ago but been up to my ears and this is my first chance to sit down and do any scans.

Hope these show what you need to see but if you have more specific requests please let me know and I'll do all I can to provide any additional views that are needed.

Anyhow without further ado...

[attachmentid=56564]

Dan,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there are a lot of things I do not like about these boards;

1-The kink at the buttonhole end. This would never happen with the correct type of braid;

2-The backing material is not wide enough. It should be clearly visible around the sides of the boards and is substantailly thick and firm. It is obviouslty wrapped around something to give it form and shape;

3-The shape of the tongue. It shopuld be round on the end and not pointed;

4-The tongue on all my uniform boards is machine sewn to the top of the board. Not hand sewn;

5-The length of the pins on the stars is too short. On all my boards they are much longer and fold over on the back of the board for a substantial distance;

6-The colour of the green underlay of the baords appears to be the wrong colour. This could be the photo itself but it looks to be too dark a green.

I would never say something is a repro from a photo but if I were offered these boards I would not buy them.

Regards,

Gordon

[attachmentid=56571]

[attachmentid=56572]

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. :beer:

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for the heads up. I've actually decided to keep them though as by the time I'd send them back I'd be out shipping both ways and as I don't have that much in them they'll do until an original example comes along.

But definitely hope these pointers will help others avoid same in their quest for similar boards.

Thanks again, :cheers:

Dan

Dan,

Always good to have something like this for comparison. If I see a real set I'll let you know. The first VOPO generals tunic that I bought had boards like the ones you pictured and repro collar tabs, the wrong buttons etc. I was just learning then but knew eneough to take a lot of pictures before I returned the uniform.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for the heads up. I've actually decided to keep them though as by the time I'd send them back I'd be out shipping both ways and as I don't have that much in them they'll do until an original example comes along.

But definitely hope these pointers will help others avoid same in their quest for similar boards.

Thanks again, :cheers:

Dan

Edited by Gordon Craig