News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The "new" Order of the Sacred Treasure.

Laurence Strong

I found this after reading an answer posted by Paul Murphy;

In 2003 the Order of the Sacred treasure was changed. The lowest two classes of the Order were abolished. Moreover, the badges of the Order will from now on be suspended from three white-enamelled Paulownia leaves.

Here it the "new" order starting from the lowest level

The Order of the Sacred Treasure, Silver Rays

Edited by Laurence Strong

Hi Larry,

I rather like the new look. :jumping::jumping: The ribbon colors work well with the award itself and the combination is very pleasing to the eye. :love::love:

Many thanks for posting these. Sure be nice if some would turn up at a good price. At least one can always hope. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hi Larry,

I rather like the new look. The ribbon colors work well with the award itself and the combination is very pleasing to the eye.

Dan

Dan

I agree about the look - enough to make a guy collect enamelware. Pity about the names of the classes, though - must of bin thunk up by a civil servant ! "It's silver and gold so we'll call it the Silver and Gold Star. " Duh! :( Maybe not "knight", "commander" etc for an oriental award but something with class! :P

Peter

Ed,

It sounds equally horrible in Japanese. The entire reform of the Japanese award system was a half baked measure done by gnomes with no imagination whatsoever.

I have not yet seen a new style Sacred Treasure for sale, I think it will be a while before they start to filter onto the collectors market. I am looking forward to handling one to see if the quality has stayed to the previous high standard.

Regards,

Paul

It sounds equally horrible in Japanese. The entire reform of the Japanese award system was a half baked measure done by gnomes with no imagination whatsoever.

So sad, Paul. I feared as much. I tremble for Mongolia. The damage in India has been progressive and not as abrupt.

• 2 months later...

Very interesting, and bloody expensive !

This is what we would have called a 5th class, now known as "gold and silver rays". The writing on the lid of the box makes no mention of numerical class at all so it would appear that all the lid inscriptions have been changed.

Presumably this also applies to new boxes for the Rising Sun as well so start grabbing those post war plastic boxes without the post and catch and with numerical classes on the lid since they are no more !

I hope to visit Japan in spring next year so I will have a good look around to see what the market prices are for these new orders. It is also interesting that the manufacturing technique regarding the red jewels has changed. Originally this was a seperate piece held on by four rivets, then sometime around the late 70's or early 80's they started making a one piece Sacred Treasure, which can be identified by the lack of rivet heads on the reverse. On these new style orders the band appears speerate and is held on by two rivets.

From the photos the quality looks good but I still want to hold one for myself !

Many thanks for sharing these with us.

:beer:

Paul

The ribbon colors work well with the award itself and the combination is very pleasing to the eye

The ribbon is almost the same as that one of the order of the Dutch lion from the netherlands,

However I like the grandcross sash of the dutch order more than this one... It looks so fragile.

Kind regards,

Jacky