News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chasseurs a la Guard Pouch Device

Ramblinfarms

Yeah but you have some mind-boggling documents! :P

Thanks much for the comments guys.

Tonight I'm going to watch "The Duellists" again. Haven't seen it for a long, long time, but my 11 year old has never seen it. It's a great movie!

"I'm to fight a duel, on horseback, as a tribute to the Cavalry?!" :(

Love it. :beer:

"Master and Commander" is a great film, too. The historical accuracy is wonderful. I have noticed that more recent war films are doing a good job with their research, compared to the earlier efforts. I know there are some goof-ups, especially if you are an "expert" on the subject, but the effort is there.

Which is why "The Duellists" is such a great film. Even though it was done in the late 70's, you can really see Ridley Scott's efforts to make the film accurate. That is why he is one of my favorite Directors. "Gladiator" is another effort of his that is a tremendous film. I am in awe of his use of light and contrast.

Chris Werner

If you liked the film Master and Commander then read the books. They are brilliant and really bring the Napoleonic Royal Navy to life.

Of course, I?ve read some of those books and It?s true, they bring the Napoleonic R. Navy to life, but We were talking about films. O?Brian was an excellent artist but to make a Napoleonic film needs : artistic talent and a lot of money. Peter Weir (using O?Brian?s books) got It.

(Sorry , my English it?s terrible).

Does anybody knows If Peter Weir or 20th Century think about second part of Master and Commander?

Moore

I happen to know, fairly well, the chap who was the historical consultant on Master and Commander and who stayed with Weir for some time after the movie's release In fact, he was in Spain for the release there. Gord Laco is his name and he is a sailor and ships chandler when he's not doing historical film. He says there is almost no chance of a Part two to M&C because it simply did not make enough money. Pity!

Moore

I happen to know, fairly well, the chap who was the historical consultant on Master and Commander and who stayed with Weir for some time after the movie's release In fact, he was in Spain for the release there. Gord Laco is his name and he is a sailor and ships chandler when he's not doing historical film. He says there is almost no chance of a Part two to M&C because it simply did not make enough money. Pity!

Thank you for information. Exactly...Pity?

Regards.

While M&C was a magnificent film, we seem to have gotten a little off track. RF, That is a beautiuful cartouche plate and in excellent condition. Could you possibly post a close up of the center arms for those like me who have never seen one before. Does anyone have an image of one being worn, print or otherwise?

Dan

My camera is in Boston with my sister in law right now, but I will see what I can do. This plate was worn from about 1814 on according to my source. The problem as I see it is that Napoleon III used the same coat of arms as his uncle. I don't believe this is a Second Empire Plate, however. The Eagle is more of a First Empire style. The fastening points on the reverse are the tabs with the oval holes, which is a Napoleonic style.

I am awaiting some pictures showing this worn. Rousselot (sp?) shows the plate to be just an Eagle on the pouch.

Well, after a whole bunch of research on the web, and in the books I have, I believe that it is safe to conclude that this is late, First Empire. :jumping::jumping:

I am awaiting some pictures of this device being worn pre-1815 from some French sources/References. I'll post them when I get them. :beer:

Chris

Hello Chris,

I've been searching and can't seem to find any good pictures that show in good detail the metal plates that are on the uniforms. It seems that from your last post you've had better luck than me.

thanks,

barry

• 4 weeks later...