News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Current Japanese orders

Laurence Strong

This all started with a response from Paul on the Sacred Treasure, As I did more reaserch I found more info, so I decided to put it all together and post the current Order and Decorations of Japan, along with a little old and some new history on the different Orders.

In all fairness, this is not my material, but a compilation of info from the Japanese Decoration Bureau, and Wikipedia

I appologize for the photo's they are pretty small, but untill I can find better they will have to do.

Thanks for looking and feel free to comment :beer:

I have placed them in what I believe is the correct precedence

Edited by Laurence Strong

Supreme Orders of the Chrysanthemum

The Supreme Order of the Chrysanthemum (daikun'i kikkashō, literally Grand Order of the Badge of the Chrysanthemums) is Japan's highest order. The Grand Cordon of the Order was established in 1876 by Emperor Meiji of Japan; the collar of the Order was added on January 4, 1888. Although technically the order has only one class, it can either be awarded with collar (or chain), or with grand cordon (or sash). Unlike its European counterparts, the order may be conferred posthumously.

The collar of the order is awarded only postumously, except for the reigning emperor, who automatically holds the rank. Exceptions are made for foreign heads of state, whom could be awarded the collar as a sign of friendship.

The grand cordon is the highest possible honor a Japanese citizen could be awarded during his life time. Aside from the imperial household, only three grand cordons have been awarded to living citizens and eleven to the deceased.

The badge of the order is a four-pointed gilt badge with white enamelled rays; the centre bears a red enamelled sun disc. on each of the four corners of the badge there is a yellow-enamelled chrysanthemum blossom with green enamelled chrysanthemum leaves. The badge is suspended on a yellow-enamelled chrysanthemum, either on the collar or on the grand cordon.

The star of the order is similar to the badge, but in silver, without the chrysanthemum suspension, and with an eight-pointed gilt medallion (with white enamelled rays and red enamelled sun disc) placed at the centre. It is worn on the left chest.

The grand cordon of the order is red with dark blue border stripes. It is worn on the right shoulder

Grand Cordon of the Order of the Paulownia Flowers

In 1888, Grand Cordon of the Order of the Paulownia Flowers was established as the highest award in the Orders of the Rising Sun. However, it presently serves as a different award. The medal features rays of sunlight radiating from the rising sun, wreathed by Paulownia flowers. The attachment is also shaped into a Paulownia flower

The Order of Culture (bunka kunshō) is a Japanese Order (decoration), established on February 11, 1937. The order has one class only, and may be awarded to men and women for contributions to Japan's art, literature or culture; recipients of the order also receive an annuity for life. The order is conferred by the Emperor of Japan in person on Culture Day (November 3) each year.

The badge of the order, which is in gold with white enamel, is in the form of an mandarin orange blossom; the central disc bears three crescent-shaped jades (magatama). The badge is suspended on a gold and enamel wreath of mandarin orange leaves and fruit, which is in turn suspended on a purple ribbon worn around the neck.

The order ranks between the Order of the Sacred Treasures, First Class and the Order of the Rising Sun, Double Rays (second class).

The Order of the Precious Crown was established on January 4, 1888, concurrently with the Order of the Sacred Treasure. , by Emperor Meiji of Japan. Originally the order had five classes, but on April 13, 1896 the sixth, seventh and eighth classes were added.

The order is reserved for females (men may be awarded the Order of the Rising Sun instead); the first class is normally conferred to female royalty. Unlike its European counterparts, the order may be conferred posthumously.

The order after the 2003 reform:

Originally, this medal was only conferred to women, featuring the precious crown based on the design of a crown worn by ancient empresses, encircled by pearls, designs of bamboo shoots, and cherry blossoms and leaves. The shape of the attachment draws its influence from the crests on ladies of the ancient Imperial Court, and includes paulownia, peony, butterfly, wistaria, apricot, and ripples.

In 2003 the Order of the Rising Sun, previously reserved for males, were made available to women as well. This means the Order of the Precious Crown will hereafter be conferred only on foreign female dignitaries at at ceremonial award or on other special occasions .

Starting from the lowest level:

The Order of the Precious Crown, Ripple

Since the late 19th Century, the Government of Japan has issued six different types of Medals of Honor (hosho) to individuals for achievements in various fields.

The Medals of Honor were established on December 7, 1881, and were first awarded the following year. Several expansions and amendments have been made since then. The medal design for all six types are the same, bearing the words 褒章 on a gilt central disc surrounded by a silver ring of cherry blossoms on the obverse; only the colors of the ribbon differ.

The Medals of Honor are awarded twice each year, on April 29 (the birthday of Showa Emperor) and November 3 (the birthday of Meiji Emperor). About 800 individuals receive these medals on each occasion.

Medal with Red Ribbon

to individuals who have risked their own lives to save others