News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Commemorative Medal for WW1 Veterans

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Thanks Christophe for the info. Sorry the C of Chobillon looks a G.

Never mind, have a question about other same medals . Would be grateful if you could tell me more about this medal. It seems this medal was issued after 1978.

Yours,

Jef

[attachmentid=55246][attachmentid=55247]

Here's another version offered for sale at e-medals.

http://www.emedals.ca/catalog.asp?item=F210

This last medal posted by Darrell is the medal "M?rite UNC", awarded to members of the UNC deserving recognition of their action. It is not only a Membership medal as are the other posted earlier. There are 4 levels : bronze, silver, vermeil and gold. The one posted looks like bronze...

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

This said, it was probably a support day for the Poilus on Christmas time.

Ch.

I believe my mother told me that these were sold to raise money for soldiers' comforts, orphans, etc.

I have one grandfather brought home with a silver 75 mm cannon, marked on the back "Vengeur de 1914-15".

Some of the medls were designed by Lalique.

• 7 years later...
    • 6 years later...

Hello Gentlemen, I hope everyone here is feeling healthy & well. As I was documenting a particular medal in one of  WW1 U.S. 26th 'Yankee Division' Groups, I came across this somewhat brief, yet interesting & informative article pertaining to these French U.N.C. Medals. If interested, see the following Link;

https://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/article/union_nationale_des_combattants_unc

Best,    Dom P. /  dpast32