News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Stasi Lapel Identity Pin

Hi all,

Okay, now this one I'm really excited about. Have been for a week now. Found it on Ebay. Been on the edge of my seat pacing the floors until this morning. Lucked out and won it (Thank you God!!!!) for the minimum of .99 cents!!!!!!!! :jumping::jumping: Somehow I suspect if he lists any more that I'll have a bit more competition this time around. :beer:

First I'll post the auction pics... these are the sellers (Steven Haehnel (berlinbvg)) and I'll do my own scans when I receive it which I hope will be mid week this week.

Front:

[attachmentid=55533]

Back with screwback in place:

[attachmentid=55535]

Disassembled front:

[attachmentid=55536]

Disassembled back:

[attachmentid=55537]

Edited by Hauptman

Okay... so, just a badge with a funky little color thingie inside. What's so special about it you ask? :unsure::rolleyes::P

Well, I knew I'd seen it somewhere before. Either one of two places... a documentary called Spytek with Roger Moore or as it turned out in a book called Ultimate Spy by H. Keith Melton, New Expanded Edition, page 91 under Spy Cameras. Why they decided to put it in that particular section I don't know... but here's what it has:

[attachmentid=55544]

Basically this would allow undercover Stasi officers to be able to identify each other as being Stasi and I assume that the color code would either be chosen for a particular day, event or perhaps if there were several types of Stasi units at a particular event each would be designated by one of the four colors.

Don't know about anyone else but to me this is really "cool!" :jumping::love:

Just couldn't pass it up. And I'm "sure" it's gotta be worth more than .99 cents! So think I did really super good on this little baby! :P

And needless to say if anyone has any additional information on these I'm dying to hear it. Thanks! :beer:

Needless to say I'm an extremely happy camper right now. :cheers:

Dan

Edited by Hauptman

Nice one! :beer:

Not often the "good guys" win one.

Hi Ed,

Thanks so much for that! :beer:

It's small but to me it's a huge find. I only hope I'm able to dig up more info on it. I've seen some other pins advertised as Stasi ID pins but have nothing to confirm it. At least this one is documented in that book and the author is considered "the" authority on Spy tech.

Plus... I just think it's like ultra cool! :cheeky::jumping::jumping: Kinda like secret decoder or whistle rings and such.

Again thanks so much for your kind words. Really makes me feel good.

Dan :cheers:

Dan, Congrats. If you got this badge from one of Torsten's .99 Cent auctions you got it from a very reputable dealer. There are dozens of different types of these Stasi ID pins out there. Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Actually got it from a Steven Haehnel (berlinbvg) up in Washington State. He has a 229 feedback that's 100% positive so no fears on that account. It was .99 on the bid and .99 shipping but I upped it to Priority Mail with tracking and insurance as I want to take no chances with this one.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it gets here before too long.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Hi Kevin,

Actually got it from a Steven Haehnel (berlinbvg) up in Washington State. He has a 229 feedback that's 100% positive so no fears on that account. It was .99 on the bid and .99 shipping but I upped it to Priority Mail with tracking and insurance as I want to take no chances with this one.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it gets here before too long.

Dan

Ok, Good find. It must have been listed under something other than East German, Stasi perhaps lol Kevin

Hi all,

Here's a couple of new shots of this piece. Received it a few days ago and love it! It's small (same size as a U.S. Dime) but very nice! :jumping::jumping:

[attachmentid=56573]

[attachmentid=56574]

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman

• 2 weeks later...

I do hope that I am allowed to post links to another forum here?...but it would really safe a lot of time and hassle, if you were to have a look at this thread on another forum, where I have shown a fairly large number of different Stasi Undercover Pins...Cheers, Torsten.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ver+pin+torsten

Hi Torsten,

Far as I know there are no such restrictions here like on many other forums. We're all here to learn and to share info so this fits right in. Only problem is that members like myself who have not joined WAF cannot see the pictures in the post. :(

But very much appreciate your posting this and I know at least some of us will be able to see the pics as well. But alot can still be learned from the thread.

Dan

Hi Torsten,

Far as I know there are no such restrictions here like on many other forums. We're all here to learn and to share info so this fits right in. Only problem is that members like myself who have not joined WAF cannot see the pictures in the post. :(

But very much appreciate your posting this and I know at least some of us will be able to see the pics as well. But alot can still be learned from the thread.

Dan

Hi Dan, would probably be easiest just to join the WAF for the free membership, if that was to mean to you can see the pics...there really is a ton of information there and a lot about the DDR has already been explained there (I am up to nearly 6000 posts now) and a lot of the WAF members are also members here and so, I would probably not want to repeat things that I have already said or shown there on this forum...Cheers, Torsten.