News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 2 weeks later...
    • Replies 354
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i don't think anyone actually identified the '96' badge, it's a copy of the 96th regiment glengarry badge (later to become the 2nd Battalion manchester regiment

and on that theme :D

Brunswick star to the 2nd battalion (used as collar dogs and cap)

IPB Image

Edited by harribobs

Irish Light... something. Victoria crown.

Dear Sir please find under reference to "IRISH LIGHTS" the information was taken from the book:

DECORATIONS AND MEDALS OF THE REPUBLIC of IRELAND by the late EAMONN O'TOOLE.

Page50 MEDALS OF THE COMMISSIONERS OF IRISH LIGHTS.

"The Commissioners of Irish Lights, established in 1867, are responsible for the superintendance and management of the lighthouses, light vessels, bouys and other aids to navigation throughout Ireland and its adjoining seas and islands."

After the South of Ireland became a Republic, the uniform and badges were changed to something reflecting more of an Irish flavour :P

Kevin in Transylvania, Romania

Dear Sir please find under reference to "IRISH LIGHTS" the information was taken from the book:

DECORATIONS AND MEDALS OF THE REPUBLIC of IRELAND by the late EAMONN O'TOOLE.

Page50 MEDALS OF THE COMMISSIONERS OF IRISH LIGHTS.

"The Commissioners of Irish Lights, established in 1867, are responsible for the superintendance and management of the lighthouses, light vessels, bouys and other aids to navigation throughout Ireland and its adjoining seas and islands."

After the South of Ireland became a Republic, the uniform and badges were changed to something reflecting more of an Irish flavour :P

Kevin in Transylvania, Romania

Kev

I guess the lighthouse should have been a clue to me, eh? My bad! Shot from the lip and goofed. :blush: Thanks for the correction.

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

Ralph

No 3 (deaths Head) is the 17th/21st Lancers Badge. Now called the Queens Royal Lancers. Not sure if it is a restrike as badges is not my area but it looks pretty good to me. The RNAS is unusual but I am a little suspicious of that one but as I say I am not an expert on badges so don't take my word for anthing. :catjava:

Royal Naval Air Service operated the first armoured car battalions in Belgium during the 1st World War - could be that's where the badge came from (seem to remember seeing it before but not as a cap badge - perhaps over the rate badges of Senior Rates)

Royal Naval Air Service operated the first armoured car battalions in Belgium during the 1st World War - could be that's where the badge came from (seem to remember seeing it before but not as a cap badge - perhaps over the rate badges of Senior Rates)

1) I believe that the 22nd Dragoons and the 24th Lancers were war-raised units (WWII), say 1941-45 or 46. presumably it was felt that giving them cavalry titles would be a morale booster/recruiting plus rather than just creating 2 more numbered armoured units. Nice to see these two - they can't be common if good.

2) I haven't "done" badges in almost 20 years but when I did, way back then, there were already mutterings about repro RNAS badges because early armour badges were so rare and desireable. You might want to check that one out with an expert.

My tuppence worth.

Peter

• 2 months later...

Hallo Gentlemen :beer:

Does anybody have any Irish Militia badges in there collection, or know of anybody with any?

I am looking for pictures of two Regiments in particular, as illustrations for my book, and credit will be given to the owner of the badges.

THE NORTH MAYO MILITIA

SOUTH MAYO MILITIA*

* Later they became a the SOUTH MAYO RIFLES.

Please see under for descriptions.

CAP BADGES OF IRISH MILITIAS.

North Mayo Militia: A Salamander with a scroll below it, the scroll inscribed ?North Mayo?s?.

South Mayo Militia: A Crowned Circle inscribed ?South Mayo Rifles? The circle partially enclosed within a shamrock wreath. Inside the circle the arms of the Marquis of Sligo whose ancestors raised the corps.

Both regiments were eventualy amalgemated in to the South Mayo, these in turn became a Militia Bn of the Connaught Rangers.

I also attach a picture of a handy little book with regards British Cap badges, though dated, there might be an even newer edition than the one pictured, I got mine a few years ago and the ISBN number is:

ISBN 1 - 85409 - 426 -2

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hallo Gentlemen, :beer:

I decided to post the few cap-badges I have in my collection, some are related to Regiments who served in the Military Barracks in Castlebar prior to 1920, when Ireland became a Republic. And some have connections to Regiments local men served with in WW1.

I also show a belt with Capbadges and insignia I picked up a few years ago at a Fleamarket in Germany, I have never managed to identify the type of belt or who the buckle represents it says "GIBRALTER" * * * * MARE PER TERRAM.

Any comments on all items would be welcome.

First Up CONNAUGHT RANGERS,

Kevin in Deva. :beer: