News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 354
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some pretty scarce badges there Andy, very nice. The S.D.F. is the Sudan Defence Force, again an unusual fastener. Still can't come up with a good explanation for that Military Police badge though.

Thanks Jim

I will post some more asap. If you come up with any ideas re the fixing on the military police please let me know

regards

andy

hey ralph, no expert on badges, but the commando badge is just that, not SAS, the third one on the page looks very similar to a territorial unit, i was familiar with in the 1980's "the mercian Volunteers"  who were later re-badged as The Cheshire Regiment.  may not be they definately had the romanoff eagle thing going.  i believe that all religious "ministers" are referred to as Chaplain in the British Army, difficult in civvies to work out if they, vicar, father, minister et al

lovely collection by the way, cheers for showing

cheers

Yes, I agree about the Commando Badge...the S S on it refers to "Special Service" as Commando Bde's were first designated...however due to the SS connotations it was dropped.

i.e 3 Commando Bde was once 3 Special Service Bde.

Chris

28th Battlion London Regt, the Artists' Rifles and the 16th Battlion, Queens Westminster Rifles.

Tony,

Your 16th London is actually not what it seems, it's better. It's a Queen's Westminster Rifle Volunteers 1902-08 (King's crown version) or 13th Middlesex Rifle Volunteers, King's Royal Rifle Corps 6th Volunteer Battalion. Later to become the 16th County of London (Queen's Westminster Rifles) in the 1908 formation of the Territorial Force and The London Regiment. Worth about ?75.

Is it actually whitemetal as mine is and with three loops ?

Keith

Tony,

Your 16th London is actually not what it seems, it's better.  It's a Queen's Westminster Rifle Volunteers 1902-08 (King's crown version) or 13th Middlesex Rifle Volunteers, King's Royal Rifle Corps 6th Volunteer Battalion.  Later to become the 16th County of London (Queen's Westminster Rifles) in the 1908 formation of the Territorial Force and The London Regiment.  Worth about ?75.

Is it actually whitemetal as mine is and with three loops ?

Keith

Hello Keith,

That is interesting!

My knowledge of restrikes only really goes as far as 'hmm, very bendy' or the tell tale signs where normal wear and tear should be obvious.

I have always thought this badge to be original but, as it is something special I'm no longer sure. There are only 2 loops and the colour is more like copper, it retains a lot of grime in areas you'd expect not to be clean but as I said, you've got me worried.

Please have a look at the photos, any comments are most welcome.

Tony

Something else I've just noticed.

There are 2 beads on the lower part of the crown that look similar to splashes on steel when welding.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Very hard to say, but my first impressions are it looks OK. My w/m is very strong and the edging gives alot of re-inforcement. I notice yours is quite deeply stamped with the edging too. K & K only mention a w/m one. Is your just dirty or it is a blackened one ? As for the spots, who knows. Maybe it came from a different die. I would think that with all the voiding this would be a very time consuming badge to make so maybe more than one manufacturer was involved, hence the two rather than three loops. Does anyone know roughly how many a territorial battalion would need over six years of peacetime.

As a footnote when I bought mine it also came with a pair of matching collars and all three items had the red felt backing.

I'll re-scan mine on higher definition next week and send you the pics for comparision.

Keith

Its a wet and windy day in Devon. Nothing else to do so thought I would post a few more.

First up is a cap and collar for the AA voluntary Service Corps. I have not been able to find much info on these but I understand they provided voluntary drivers during WW1. If anyone can add anything It would be great to here from you

andy