News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

First World War postcards

Eduardo

Yes, don't know the date it was sent, but I believe it was his last, it is also eerie that my dad, his nephew was born 10 days after he was killed, he was given his name, William John, and was also in Belgium in the BEF forces in WW2!

Thankfully he survived the war/Dunkirk.

Colin

• Replies 316
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

A strange German postcard....

The photo shows the portrait of a Belgian trooper of the 1st Rgt. Guides (Gidsen), but on his field cap he wears an English brass shoulder title of the Royal Garrison Artillery....

This card was sent by a Vizefeldwebel of the Landst.Inf.Ers.Btl. Landau II B13, 4.Kp on 01-05-1916

I can't help wondering why a German editor would print and sell postcards with portraits of Belgian soldiers....

Hi,

I have seen numerous German cards where POWs are photographed and marked "A French Infantryman" "An Algerian" " A British XXX" etc. etc....

Possibly if he was a Guide that he was attached to the RGA as a ... guide :-) Would have been a lot surer than following a young Lt. with a map ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I was wondering if many are into collecting first world war postcards in here? We have few in our house and it is just keep in a box.

Military Spouse

Hello, Ursula! Yes, as you can tell by the number of WWI postcards in this thread... We "collect" is an understatement. :P

If you are interested in figuring out what you have, we'd be very happy to help you...

Oops! You've fallen into a den of enthusiasts, Ursala! And that's the polite term. ;) Some would go so far as to say 'fanatics... obsessive compulsive... addicts.'

Seriously, there is a wealth of knowledge here on almost any military topic, and some not so military ones, that you can imagine and, as the name says, we try to be gentlemen and ladies. So, as you can see, Irish is waiting with tongue hanging out to help ID your postcards. We photo shopped the drool out of that emoticon! :whistle:

Welcome to the GMIC!

Peter

• 1 month later...

hello. I have a photo of the Russian army. you wonder? 1914-1917g

@yossi, if you have WW1 photos or postcards, post them here.

I'm in a place fighting Smorgon. since the war of 1914-1917 left many buildings and military cemeteries. if you are interested - I do photography.

You can open a new tread for modern battlefield photos.

Regards! :)

Edited by ionionescu

WW1, probably western front. Unfortunately the reverse is totally blank, there are no comments or notes.

The one on the left, lower left corner, seems to wear a M1907/10 Feldrock with Swedish cuffs and the one on opposite side to the the right, first row, seems to wear a M1915/16 Bluse, so most probably the photo is taken somewhere between 1916 and 1918.

12853046945_3099905963_c.jpg
    WW1, probably western front. by honoretpatria.wordpress, on Flickr