News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Anyone happen to have one of these?

[attachmentid=57051]

Gents I am hoping another member might have one of these neckerchief knots. My son has promised to take good care of this so I have been letting him wear it to his scout meetings. He gets lots of compliments but only I know about it. Call it DJ circa 2006. It is marked RZM on the reverse without a number however. This is why I ask for help if you have one and would be willing to post an image. I can post the reverse if you want. Just ask. Thank You Robert

I have one but no pic, it is a 3 strand one in a more tan coloured material, but it is HJ and came from an old Dutch collector. It is not a scout one [before someone wonders ;) ] and I too occasionally wear mine to meetings, as I am a group scout leader.

regards

MG

Yes, I have two of them,

I happened to know how they were made....

But it was quite simple to make. Could be done by both one wire or bij stripping a piece of leather into 9 or more strips and than folding it in a certain manner.....

will think about it.

Kind regards,

Jacky

Jacky Thank you for the instructions. It will be a great project for them. Good Sunday to you. Robert :love: PS Matt and thank you for your imput. Since I don't see these very often I tend to not be exactly sure what I have.

Edited by BURGERHAUS

I believe the item to be a Gilwell woggle. This is in fact used to tie the scout's scarf around his neck. I found this explanation on the net:

"In the early days of Scouting, the scarf was fastened at the throat by a knot but, in 1920 or 1921, the scarf slide came into use. It is said the name "woggle" was invented for it by Mr. Gidney, the first Camp Chief of Gilwell. In those days, the lighting of fires by friction was very much of a novelty and, for many years, was demonstrated on Wood Badge courses. The main piece of equipment for this activity was a leather thong. When not being used for fire-making, the thong was long enough to make a two strand Turk's Head Woggle, which is what we wear today. "

The wood badge course as I remember it is taken by advanced scouts and upon succesful completion I believe they are awarded a leather Gilwell woggle and a special scarf with some leather/wooden attachment/ neck tie. I never made it beyond the first of three courses for the woodbadge......I dropped out before.

Jim

nearly ALL worldwide scouting organisations wore a woggle to hold the scarf round the neck. This is not a gilwell woggle, I have one as a fully trained leader. The HJ did wear them

ttfn

matt gibbs

Gents,

If you check post #2 on the following thread I think you might have your HJ woggle.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11764&hl=1000

I found it earlier today as I was browsing the forum. However I cannot say I know enough about the item to say it is HJ or Scouts.

Jim :cheers:

• 5 months later...

[attachmentid=57051]

Gents I am hoping another member might have one of these neckerchief knots. My son has promised to take good care of this so I have been letting him wear it to his scout meetings. He gets lots of compliments but only I know about it. Call it DJ circa 2006. It is marked RZM on the reverse without a number however. This is why I ask for help if you have one and would be willing to post an image. I can post the reverse if you want. Just ask. Thank You Robert

I finally got around to scanning the RZM stamp on the other side of this. No manufacturer number however. Robert