News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

[attachmentid=57321]

Gentlemen,

This lovely photo was posted on another Forum of which I'm a member, and the owner would like to identify the unit and award. Looking at the shoulder title "IP", I said it's possibly Indian Police, pre-1947, but had no idea of the rank or what the award was. Could any of our Police experts please help out here?

Thanks,

Graham.

Most bizarre.

Indian Police would normally be a cursive "IPS" = Indian Police Service or a provincial designation if below "national" level.

Looks Prussian to me, but who knows.

Interesting . . . . . :unsure::unsure::unsure:

No, I had a set of cap, shoulders, collars, and rank stars, which looked identical to those in the photo. I'm positive he's Indian Police. And I think the rank is Superintendant, going on modern Indian Police ranks, which don't seem to have substantially changed, other than replacing the crown with the Lions of Ashoka.

It wouldn't be the Royal Victorian Order he's wearing, would it?

Edited by Michael Johnson

Definitely British Police. IP is Imperial (Indian) Police . Cap Badge is Kings Crown with a GR. Rank is (possibly assistant) District Superintendent. This is No 1 Dress.

As for medal well it isn't an Royal Victorian Order.... :unsure:

I've seen Michael's set and the cap badge does look spot-on for indian police. I know nothing about police ranks.

A Prussian order sounds unlikely for a British colonial policeman but stranger things happen. I posted a while back in another forum about a WWI group I once owned to a Captain Branfoot, 37th Lancers, IA which included a Rumanian Order of the Crown which he was awarded for WWI service, though he was never within 100 miles of Rumania. :P

Apparently the decoration "came round with the rations" one Christmas: sent to the War Office by the Rumanians to give out as the WO saw fit, which in this case apparently meant to an officer who didn'tquite qualify for an MC. Or so the seller told me, having heard the story from his neighbour, who'd served with "Branny". [branfoot was quite touchy about it too, we're told. :( ]

P

There were surely Prussian Crown and Red Eagle awards for the German crown prince's visit for the 1911 Durbar. I have that list (maybe even as a PDF), let me check. But I have a hard time imagining something that high for the police.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Ed. It seems to me to be entirely possible that a police officer of his rank would receive the Prussian award in that grade for looking after royal security..........even if it was something of a 'diplomatic trinket'.

Edited by Robin Lumsden

The full list is at

http://sagongs.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=242&st=17

(Sorry, you'll need to sign up to see it).

My guess is that this is a "Mr. Ross" who was awarded the "Order of the Prussian Crown, 2nd class, without star".

Could try the online London Gazette. though this may have been only in the Gazette of India? (The Gazette is cranky just now :( )

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Lad's,

Very many thanks for your time & patience with this one, which is greatly appreciated, as I really know nothing of Police history/decorations. I've tried looking for a site dedicated to the Imperial Police, but have been unable to find one dedicated to it. Does anyone know if one exists?

Graham.

Web site? No.

But this does remind me of several real sources -- BOOKS -- that I need to check. If this is Ross, he'd have had the chance to wear his Prussian medal for only a few years, so placing this photo chronologically should be easy.

Sorry I am being so slow, but I have very little experience tracing natives (of the British Isles), being more used to tracing natives (of India).

Graham Stewart said

"I've tried looking for a site dedicated to the Imperial Police, but have been unable to find one dedicated to it. Does anyone know if one exists?"

Graham

Having had experiences looking for similarly obscure stuff on the web - not this admittedly - and considering myself a reasonably capable searcher, my quick, shoot from the lip response is "If it ain't here, it ain't anywheres." "If Ed doesn't know, it ain't to be known." would be a rider

Having said that, however, I'll poke about in the police collectors sub-world and see if I can scare something up.