News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

[attachmentid=57337]Gents, I would appreciate it if you could clear up some confusion I have over these two badges. I have always believed the tombac badge to be a Zimmerman but on looking at other posts on this forum I now believe it is a B H Mayer (solid top to the swastica) is this correct?The zinc badge I believe is a Schwerin made badge. I know Deumer made a similar badge but the hardware on the back is different,is that also correct?Many thanks,

Paul

Paul,

You are quite right on the first one, definitely a Mayer badge. Easy to overlook the solid top to the swas (I did for ages until Michel pointed it out to me) , otherwise they are identical to Zimmermann.

I've yet to see a zinc badge that I'd be convinced was a Schwerin. Hardware often varied between examples of the same badge by one maker so I wouldn't take hardware alone as being sufficient to identify a maker ( unless it was a pretty much unique set up, like Foerster & Barths or "Wernstein".)

It is typical for Deumer to have a pin which projects down lower than the bottom edge of the badfge.

Thanks for that Gordon,I'm surprised about the Zinc badge though.The characteristics are so similar to the tombac Schwerin and the hinge and catch are identical to the set ups on a first pattern u-boat clasp and schwerin blockade breaker I have.I've noticed on the zinc badges with the 'Deumer' hardware on the back that most seem to be with solid swastica,is that significant at all? All the best,

Paul

Paul,

Suprisingly, quite a few makers offered both cut out and solid swas on their U-Boat badges (f.o. is another for example).

Its also interesting that the Steinhauer catalogue shows a U-Boat badge style which also matches Schwerin's badge, though I have never seen an original maker marked Steinhauer either.

For quite a long time people were identifying the Deumer's as unmarked late war Schwerins. There have been several "candidates" for zink Schwerins but I have never seen one that I'd accept wholeheartedly.