News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

United States Public Health Service Medals

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

13. U.S. Public Health Bicentennial Unit Commendation (BUC)

The Bicentennial Unit Commendation is a service award given to officers on extended active duty during the Public Health Service bicentennial year (January 1, 1998 to December 31, 1998). Originally only a ribbon award, the pendant medal was created in 2002.

Obverse:

Guest Darrell

:love::love:

You have a enviable collection of little known and rarely seen medals !

I look forward to seeing more.

Thanks David ... appreciated.

Sometimes I think I'm talking to myself when I post examples :unsure:

Edited by Darrell

• 3 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

14. U.S. Public Health - Surgeon General?s Exemplary Service Medal

This award, established by Dr. C. Everett Koop, who served as Surgeon General of the U.S. Public Health Service from 1981 to 1989, is awarded solely at the discretion of the Surgeon General.

The Surgeon General?s Exemplary Service Medal (SGESM) is intended to recognize officers who have demonstrated exemplary service or who have performed a single accomplishment which has had a major impact on the mission of the PHS. The SGESM can also be awarded to officers of other uniformed services or civilians for exemplary contributions to the office of the Surgeon General.

The Obverse of the pendant features a Commissioned Officer and a PHS Nurse at the bedside of a patient. Behind them is a scene which recalls the maritime heritage of the PHS; to the right is a lighthouse with it?s light shining on a sailing ship which appears to the left of the scene. The reverse of the SGESM is identical to the Obverse of the PHS medals and features the PHS seal surrounded by the inscription ?U.S. Public Health Service?.

Obverse:

Guest Darrell

15. U.S. Public Health - Surgeon General?s Medallion

The Surgeon General?s Medallion (SGM) is awarded at the sole discretion of the Surgeon General to an officer of any of the uniformed services or a civilian for the highest level of contributions to initiatives of the Office of the Surgeon General.

The SGM consists of a medallion identical to the Surgeon General?s Exemplary Service Medal pendant, suspended from a neck ribbon of the same design as the SGESM suspension ribbon.

TYPE I ? Neck Ribbon colours same as the SGESM.

Obverse:

Guest Darrell

On April 11, 2002, the colours on the Neck Ribbon for the Surgeon General?s Medallion were reversed due to confusion between the SGESM and the SGM.

This resulted in the below Type II.

Obverse:

Guest Darrell

16. U.S. Public Health Surgeon General?s Medallion (Table Top Version)

The SGM also exists in the form of a tabletop Medallion, 2 ? inches in diameter. The obverse of the Medallion is identical to that of the pendant of the Surgeon General?s Exemplary Service Medal. However, the reverse is blank. It is believed that this tabletop medallion is intended for civilian recipients of the SGM.

Obverse:

• 1 year later...

Never talking to yourself, Darrell - I'm always looking in.

I have a massive collection of images of unusual US medals (state and agency) sent me by another US collector, and once I have sorted them I shall be back to request permission to fill any gaps...

• 12 years later...