News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha Kriegserinnerungskreuz

According to Hessenthal & Schreiber, Duke Carl Eduard had already intended to issue an award commemorating the part played by citizens of Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha for their contribution to the war in 1914. He finally instituted the Kriegserinnerungskreuz 1914/1918 in bronze in the summer of 1918 as a commemorative award.

The cross, which was made of copper and had a bronze finish, can be found as a pinback cross and a version suspended from a ribbon. The obverse shows the Duke's crowned initials "C.E.", 1914 and a twig of laurel. The reverse shows a ducal Saxon shield. The cross is very small, measuring only 30 x 30 mm.

Due to the late production date and the prevailing political situation only small numbers were issued as originally wished by the Duke. A few hundred were reported as having been issued in the autumn of 1918.

Nimmergut classified this cross as a military award. Nothing I have read about this award until now suggests that it was for non-combatants, but the only example I have on a bar is mounted with a red cross medal.

Can anyone confirm if this was issued to combatants and non-combatants alike? Can anyone show an award document for this cross or an entry for it in a Kriesgs-Stammrolle, Milit?rpass or Soldbuch?

• 10 months later...

From what I have seen thus far, I don't believe there was a differentiation between "combattant" and "non-combattant". I think its' intent was more a "participant" type status, but the very late institution prevented it from being issued en-masse, as it were. I think exceptional conduct/bravery received a higher grade of award along the lines of the Carl-Eduard Medal, etc...

Mark's group is interesting in that we have a S-C-G Medal mounted on a Sax-Ernestine ribbon. I don't think I've seen more than a handful of these mounted like this, but they absolutely occur in groups. Why, unfortunately, we'll never know. Was there some significance that's not recorded in statutes? Was it a "personal preference" issue? This remains one of the more interesting anomolies of Imperial era collecting.

Rick

In regards to the mounting of the oval Carl Eduard medal on the Sax-Ernestine ribbon - could it be due to the width of the ribbon it was awarded on? I don't have the actual size but it looks like the issue ribbon is only about half the width of the Sax-Ernestine ribbon. It might have been just too narrow to mount properly on a medal bar.

Mark

Hi Mark, I don't think that's it at all. Most production (for lack of a better term) Imperial orders & decorations had corresponding ribbon made in 9mm, 15mm, 25mm, 30mm, 40mm. I think that we may eventually find out it might be a "nationalism" issue... maybe to signify the award to a neighboring Duchy member.. pure speculation on my part, but one that makes a modicum of sense.

• 5 years later...
    • 8 years later...

Hi Guys, been a very long time since I posted here and I apologise for not replying to several private messages I have been sent over the years of being absent here . But I am back now ! 
    just wanted to revive this  old thread regarding this pin back cross . I am at present looking for such a piece ,namely the 1922 version which I believe is from the same die as the ribbon hung pieces but with pin and catch. Seem to be a lot of these around at present , a casual look around the dealer sites and  eBay sites reveals at least seven or eight for sale . Anyone got any wind of these being faked or anyone happen to know how many of these converted pin backs were produced ? I have a 1927 issue piece that is vaulted and has a plain reverse ,also its in lighter non oxidised bronze ,only ever seen one of these so far.

thanks Ferg

My 1927 example 

23848B62-B0DD-4569-9D74-4C0D8604625C.jpeg

42271271-9FB5-4454-8340-928EAF13C651.jpeg