News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Rick,

Not one I'd want. The pin appears to be Meybauer but the reverse profile of the wreath tie/bow looks like a Juncker - an obverse pic would be nice to confirm this. Shallow crown well I also don't like. I'll leave the engraving alone - the same "blocky" style is known on some fakes though.

Regards

Mike

Edited by Mike K

I have seen a couple Meybauer pieces using the shallow crown well. I have a damaged "6 point star" marked badge with no other markings that has the same shallow crown well as this one , but an odd pin and I feel it is a real one. I can post it if you like. The engraving does not look like it is worded properly and is crude at best. I say original badge :love: with fake engraving. :angry:

Dan

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Some additional points. in and of themselves, the crown well, the pin, the hinge, the cross are not of concern... roll them all into this badge. Uh, not a chance. An engraved badge is a custom piece, so the cross worked over is not unusual. BUT, the quickest, clearest give-away is the Meybauer styled pin with the bow on the front. They don't match. Also, while close, the pin is not a precise Meybauer match to known/accepted originals.

Now...... given this, it must be noted that Juncker actually DID use a pin like this on their U-Boot Badges and certain Pilot Badges made in the 1930's/40's...... However, we then must fall back on the hinge/crown well are NOT Juncker in the least and neither are the die characteristics of the badge itself.... The engraving.... No German did that!

ALSO< !! > I recently saw a fake engraving job done on the back of an authentic badge.... talk about just plain dumb.....

Mr. Smith,

The cross, crown well and pin look plausible. And it is obviously made of silver with the green dross on it. As to the engraving, I know these seem dubious most of the time, but it does not appear to have been done recently. Beyond those thoughts, I leave it to Rick or the other experts. Steve