News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This is probably a long shot and it is perhaps in the wrong place, so please excuse me.

At a recent show I traded a few items and one of the things I got back was a couple of issues of a magazine called Kaiserzeit - The Journal of the Imperial German Military Collector's Association located in New Jersey. The content of these two magazines is wonderful but I want more. An internet search reveals no information.

Do this organization and this periodical still exist? If not what happened to them? The content seems to be the perfect balance between arcane minutia and practical guides; an article on the German temperance movements of the late 19th century sits beside a page on award documents.

If the organization is gone is there any way to get back issues?

Thanks,

Keith

Keith,

The magazine is no longer printed and the organization is long defunct. The driving force behind the publication is deceased and I have been unable to find the copyright holder. There was a lot of good stuff in there.

I think I now have all but three. The first three. They come up from time to time on eBay but seldom in a complete type of set, regularly just some individual copies. Some of the older collectors might have a batch they would be willing to sell. If you spend much time in San Antonio I could probably dig these out for you.

I would be interested in seeing this material, too.

If the question of copyright is resolved and anyone finds a way to make back issues available on CD or something similar, I am sure they would find a few buyers.

Does anyone have an index so that it is possible to know which articles are available in each issue? This would be particularly useful when buying old copies on eBay, rather than chasing issues that do not have the material that one is really interested in.

David,

I was on the staff of Kaiserzeit from 1972 until it died in the 1990s. There was an index compiled and printed. I have this index and all of the issues. Eric Johannson (the author of the 1982 book, Pickelhauben) was the editor from nearly the beginning. Most of the big collectors from that era particpated by writing artices, etc. It finally died due to the dishonesty of the last printer, who kept subscrption monies, but produced little in the way of copies of the journal. People eventually stopped subscribing.

Chip

Guest Rick Research

Yup, though I associate the demise with the Carter years. Perhaps my memory is slipping.

I was a frequent contributor and indeed stopped paying in subscriptions further and further ahead for issues which went from fallen waaaay behind to never appeared. Somebody owes me about three years annual subscriptions.... :speechless:

Still have my colored membership card around somewhere in my Vast Archives. :catjava:

Rick,

I did not know that you were a subscriber/contributor back then. The last printer's name was Jerry Daub from New Jersey. He owes you, me and a lot of other people.

I still have my membership card and my certificate of merit (both of which they made me design). I have to laugh today when I look at some of the artwork, complete with mistakes that I made. It is understandable, however, as I did not seriously start collecting imperial German items until 1974.

Chip