News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Waffenamt markings/stamps

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone out there had a list of all waffenamts used during WW2?

Also,while I'm on the subject,were they used to identify the manufacturer of an item,or just the item itself?

All help appreciated!

Kind regards,

Andy

There is a partial list for arms makers and leather fabricators in Sam Costanzo's The Wonderful World of Luger Proof Marks long out of print and collectors copies go for around $300.

The numbers represented a specific government inspector assigned to the facility.

Edited by Bob Hunter

• 2 months later...
    Guest Craig Gottlieb

Bob: Do you know this to be true? Or is it "hobby speculation" - I have always wondered this. Does this explanation exist in period references? Thanks for the help.

Craig, I could not defend the statement in the same way we would defend a thesis or dissertation. I have heard claims of having seen reference books with this information from M.Morris, take that for what it's worth. I also had a conversation with a German gentlemen in April of 1980 near the Oberndorf facility. He claimed to have been such an inspector for the Waffenampt and that they each had individual numbers. Could as well have been the beer talking as anything else...

So I best amend my statement to reflect "hobby speculation" for the moment.

Welcome to the Forum. Glad to see you here!