News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The thread on Hohenzollern bars has prompted me to post a document for the HHOX.

This is the award document to Leutnant der Reserve Ernst Paczoch of 8. Westpreussisches Infanterie-Regiment No. 175 for the Kreuz der Ritter des K?niglichen Hausordens von Hohenzollern mit Schwertern dated 26 February 1917. According to informed sources, his HHOX was gazetted in the MWB issue of 22 March 1917.

Since the document is too large to fit on my scanner, the roll number 5140 doesn't appear in the scan.

Unfortunately, this is the only a single document and I had no other information from the seller.

I.R. 175 was part of 36. Infanterie-Division and was involved in fighting in the Chaulnes area on or near the Somme against the French more or less continuously from late June 1916 until it withdrew to the Siegfriedstellung shortly after his HHOX was awarded. I assume that he was awarded the HHOX for his involvement in the fighting on the Somme.

Rick (the GOOD one) confirms that Paczoch was commissioned Lt dR 1912/13 in the same regiment. He also believes that for such an early HHOX award, to that junior an infantry officer, he must have had a death-wish.

Deutschlands Heere bis 1918 by Voigt suggests that there is no regimental history and only mentions 13 winners of the Goldenes Milit?r-Verdienst-Kreuz in the regimental awards overview. It also only mentions active officers killed, as listed in the Ehrenrangliste.

Rick and Glenn J confirm that the Leutnant d.R. Paczoch listed in the Ehrenmal was killed on the 18th of October 1916 as a member of R.I.R. 207. His parent prewar regiment is given as I.R. 64 though he certainly was not commissioned in May 1914. As a Leutnant d.R. Paczoch is listed for I.R. 175 it would therefore seem that "my" Paczoch survived the war.

I have never seen another document to a member of I.R. 175, except for a Milit?rpass to a man that served with the regiment before the war. Does any one have any information or possible leads on Paczoch, I.R. 175 or any of the other units in the division, e.g. Infanterie-Regiment 128, Grenadier-Regiment 5, Feld-Artillerie-Regiment 36, Feld-Artillerie-Regiment 72, Pionier-Bataillon 17?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Failing that, please show your HHOX documents and tell us the story of their recipients.

David