News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Portugal - Orders of Portugal

This summer (on 6 August 2006) has been launched by the Portuguese newspaper Correio da Manha, a collection of reproductions of the Orders of Portugal.

These repros could be bought every Sunday as a supplement of the newspaper. This will end with the last order... tomorrow Sunday 22 October 2006.

The collection has been made in cooperation with the Museu da Presidencia da Republica (Museum of the Presidence of the Republic).

If interested you can find all details here :

http://www.xl.pt/correiomanha/microsites/condecoracoes/

This is a nice project as on each repro (and on the website as well) are provided infos and details of the award.

Below is the collector given with the repro of the 1st order.

Ch.

In fact, quite expensive : 2.99 euros + newspaper.

I just bought the first one, as I was there during my summer holidays. For this cost, the 1st one included the collector with the text on each medal.

Ch.

As I recall, one of the British newspapers, in collaboration with a service institution, did something similar years ago: a "collector" mount and badges of all the "amalgamated" British regiments (after the first round in the '70's) Unfortunately the quality was ghastly - "gilded" and "silvered" plastic, even worse quality than the cheap "Staybrite" badges the poor squaddies had to wear ! :(

These sets still turn up from time to time at flea markets over here (Canada) but, of course, invariably with a few badges missing! A nice idea if done properly but rarely execurted properly.

Peter

Yes, really too tiny... and as far as I can tell from the 1st one (the only one I gave a look at) the quality seemed indeed very poor to me, most probably the same kind as Peter mentions below for the British repros. [Notice that on the advertising of the Portuguese newspaper they announce them as "silver and gold gilded" ( :unsure: ??? ) ]

A nice idea if done properly but rarely executed properly.

Exactly what I think.

Anyway, thanks to bring this up Christophe. At least the initiative may have had the merit of giving some little info about these awards.

Dolf

PS: And next time you visit I hope you'll let me know in advance so we can at least have a couple of beers while talking Medals ;):beer:

Yes, really too tiny... and as far as I can tell from the 1st one (the only one I gave a look at) the quality seemed indeed very poor to me, most probably the same kind as Peter mentions below for the British repros. [Notice that on the advertising of the Portuguese newspaper they announce them as "silver and gold gilded" ( :unsure: ??? ) ]

(...)

PS: And next time you visit I hope you'll let me know in advance so we can at least have a couple of beers while talking Medals ;):beer:

Hi Dolf,

1. I agree, while I think the following ones were probably more nicely made (as far the pic show it...).

2. Sure :beer: . As you know, I tried, but using a wrong e-mail... :shame:

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi Dolf,

1. I agree, while I think the following ones were probably more nicely made (as far the pic show it...).

Re-salut Christophe,

I don't know, I haven't checked the others, only the 1st one and as I wasn't convinced with that one... :blush:

2. Sure :beer: . As you know, I tried, but using a wrong e-mail... :shame:

Cheers.

Ch.

Je sais, c'?tait juste pour rigoler ;)

Cheers,

Dolf :cheers:

• 4 months later...

Way back in the mists of time... or at least the early 1970s... a UK petrol distributor did one on UK campaign medals. The collector was solid cardstock, with some detail about the medals, but the actual 'give-aways' - they were free if you bought so much petrol - were a) random and wrapped in opaque material so you often ended up with handfuls of the same one and b) the 'disk' of the medal only, uniface reverse, which fitted into a circular hole in the cardstock, the ribbon was printed on in the appropriate place.

I got lucky - at the end of the promotion a petrol station gave me a complete set they'd made up. (Indeed it was an extremely lucky day, I was on the way home from visiting a distant relative who, on hearing that I was interested - aged 11 - in medals, gave me a CBE Military awarded to said relative's Dad!).

Hi Megan,

You have been very lucky then,

is there any possibility for you to post your collection on the collection forum?

Collectors showcase

Would love to see your collection,

especially the CBE mil and maybe a picture of your fathers set... Taken before the theft?

Still not recovered?? Perhaps you would like to tell us his history?

Sounds interesting: CB civil & WW2 stars & Bronze star?

Kind regards,

Jacky

I don't actually have a collection! At least not of 'things' - having got interested very early, by about 13-14 I had purchased just about everything that pocket money would stretch to... and then made the discovery that for the same sort of expenditure I could get a book about a whole lot of medals, rather than a single item. So I switched to information-gathering, and the results are now on the Internet!

As for my father - conscripted 1940 into the Royal Artillery, then they realised he'd just gained a 1st class honours (summa cum laude) degree in German & transferred him to the Intelligence Corps, and after various exploits in North Africa he ended up in an Anglo-American intelligence unit which went up Italy about a day behind the front line, analysing German radio traffic intercepted by the Enigma decoders at Bletchly Park. He got a US Bronze Star, the chap he shared a desk with - an American who remained a lifelong friend - received the UK MBE. In 1947, my father joined the Civil Service - having taken the entrance examinations while still in uniform in Rome - and he rose to be the head - 'Permanent Secretary' - of the Welsh Office, for which service he received a CB (1972) and then the KCB (1976). He departed this life in 1989.

• 5 weeks later...

Friends,

I bought an item from that collection and never bought a second. The quality is, for me, bellow zero.

The only good thing is that at least someone did it, unfortunetaly, the execution left much to be desired.

On the other hand, I found this collection - link - which appears to be much better, finished in gold or silver.

They are 2 very different collections indeed.

Jorge

Friends,

I bought an item from that collection and never bought a second. The quality is, for me, bellow zero.

The only good thing is that at least someone did it, unfortunetaly, the execution left much to be desired.

On the other hand, I found this collection - link - which appears to be much better, finished in gold or silver.

They are 2 very different collections indeed.

Jorge

Ol? Jorge,

Have you bought or seen any of those replicas from the collection of the "Revista Militar"?

Notice that on the other collection they also mentioned the replicas were finished in gold and silver :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if the size they mention in the descriptions on the link are from the replicas or the real Orders!

Best,

Dolf

Ol? Jorge,

Have you bought or seen any of those replicas from the collection of the "Revista Militar"?

Notice that on the other collection they also mentioned the replicas were finished in gold and silver :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if the size they mention in the descriptions on the link are from the replicas or the real Orders!

Best,

Dolf

Dolf,

We never know. As for the newspaper collection, it was a third of the actual size and plastic...

What I really wanted was a museum-quality certified replica of the Peninsular War Cross, which does not exist... :unsure: (I'll keep dreaming...)

Jorge

Jorge,

Obrigado ;)

I remember seing only the 1st or the 2nd piece from the newspaper collection, man it was so tiny and so bad looking quality that I bought none of those :wacky:

How does the Peninsular War Cross looks like, btw? Same design as the traditional War Cross? Don't remember ever seing one of those!

Thanks,

Dolf

Jorge,

Obrigado ;)

I remember seing only the 1st or the 2nd piece from the newspaper collection, man it was so tiny and so bad looking quality that I bought none of those :wacky:

How does the Peninsular War Cross looks like, btw? Same design as the traditional War Cross? Don't remember ever seing one of those!

Thanks,

Dolf

Dolf,

The Peninsular War Cross was created in June 28, 1816. You can see it here .

The ribbon was originally has stated on the site, but then changed to this, for political reasons:

cruzguerrapeninsular_of2.gif

The modern Military Valour medal has a very similar design, in hommage, no doubt, to this very beatiful and valuable decoration.

Jorge