News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Non-combatant bars are difficult to find!

Wow! Beautiful... you can see that the crown on the RAO is correct in shape/design, material and patina. Is the ring which hold the bow (Bandschleife) on the RAO in Gold? Usually they were on the large medal bars (Grossordenschnallen) or when these awards were issued/bestowed (before WWI/1916). Nice also the unusual over-sided crown on the last ribbon; are the narrow stripes on the sides green or light blue?

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed Vince - although very similar to the ribbon meant for the "Kriegserinnerungszeichen des Bayerischen Landesvereins vom Roten Kreuz", the silver stripes on this examples are narrower and more reminiscent of the Bulgarian ribbon.

It would not surprise me if Bulgarian ribbon was more readily available during the early Weimar period than the award's intended ribbon. The medal itself is tied down with black ribbon in the exact same manner as the other two.  

Another medal bar to recently come my way; the Wilhelmskreuz is the version with the blank reverse rather than the type with the 'kriegsverdienst' inscription. Can anyone highlight the exact reasons as to why a blank-reverse version was issued?

84950900x900.jpg

84951900x900.jpg

As I understand it, the Wilhelm's cross was an award for merit and not a bravery award.  Even the awards with swords are considered non-combat awards to military personnel.  The non swords awards with the "KRIEGS VERDIENST" reverse were awarded for home front service directly related to the war effort while the blank reverse style was awarded for public welfare service.

I assume you are referring to the cross after the Iron Cross? It is the Prussian Verdienstkreuz für Kriegshilfe, which basically replaced the Iron Cross on the white/black ribbon for merit on the homefront. As a Prussian war decoration, it ranked ahead of peacetime decorations, even orders of knighthood, so it is in its proper place. 

• 2 months later...

An award I have been after for a considerable period of the time; Sachsen Meiningen's Kreuz für Verdienste in Kriege on the non-combatant ribbon. As per Rick Lundstrom and Daniel Krause's rolls, there were between 650-680 such awards.

This completes my Sachsen-Meiningen trilogy of non-combatant awards, taking its place alongside the Medaille für Verdienste in Kriege on non-combatant ribbon (shown previously in this thread) and  the Kreuz für Verdienst von Frauen und Jungfrauen on ladies bow.

IMG_20200509_165853.jpg

Another recent acquisition - a three-place medal bar with campaign awards in steel for the war of 1870 and, more notably, the Second Schleswig War. Still looking for the non-combatant campaign awards for 1848 and 1866.

IMG_20200509_170021.jpg

Finally, a nice little bar also with the non-combatant campaign medal in steel for 1870, but on the combatant ribbon. (ironically for stay-at-homes, never understood the logic behind that one!). 

IMG_20200509_165957.jpg

Edited by redeagleorder

7 minutes ago, Paul R said:

What is that last medal on my ribbon bar posted above?  I still cannot figure it out.

Long service.

It's an unusual, but highly desirable variant to find on medal bar.

I don't think an ID is possible, only the RAO, KDM and LOE would show up in the ranklists. The Order of the Oakcrown is a pre-1890 award (Dutch rather than Luxemburgian) and the RAO is pre-1885. This gives it a bit of a window which might help, you never know