News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Non-combatant bars are difficult to find!

Yes, thank you.

I can tell you that I bought this bar along with it’s matching miniatures from George Seymour over twenty years ago; and up to that point George and Rick Lundstrom had made every effort to identify the recipient, sadly without success.

• 3 months later...
    • 3 months later...
    • 1 year later...

Here an example of an award document to Assistant Doctor Dr. Eugen Fliegel of the Iron Cross 1870 for non combatants. It reads das Eiserne Kreuz zweiter Klasse am weissen Bande mit schwarzer Einfassung. Issued by the King in 1873.

P1050157.JPG

P1050154.JPG

And here a document for a non combatant Iron cross 1914, issued  by the Royal Prussian Orders Commission in 1918

P1050155.JPG

Edited by pieter1012

Medalbar of the Saaldiener in the Deutschen Reichstag Theodor Kermess. Well his medalbar is a bit of a mix. Theodor Kermess has started his medal career in the Franco German War in 1870 / 71 as combattant at the Husars and then started working in the Reichstag in Berlin. He died 1934. What I really love on this bar is that it covers the whole imperial area of Germany. It starts with the KDM and ends with the prussian white IC.

Theodor Kermess.jpg

Today I would like to present you the following two medal bars. The triple combination of service award for 21 years, merit cross of Henry the Lion and Braunschweig war merit cross at the non-combatant ribbon is found so only on order bars of Braunschweig gendarmes. (At least I don't know of any bar where this isn't the case).
    Decisive here is the 21 years DA, which after Brunswick joined the military convention, was awarded only to this group. Soldiers received from this time only the Prussian counterparts. So we hold that medal bars that clearly have a connection to World War I and have the Brunswick award for 21 years of service on them are 99.5% from Brunswick gendarmes. (Soldiers who received this award prior to 1886 were most likely too old to receive World War I awards as well.)

The merit crosses were usually awarded to this target group after faithful and dutiful service, although the number of years of service could vary here. Oberwachtmeister usually received the 1st Class of the Cross of Merit (HdL)at some point, while Wachtmeister received only the 2nd Class. However, in 1916 not every Oberwachtmeister (senior constable) listed in the Hof- und Staatshandbuch had received a 1st class Merit Cross.

The Braunschweig War Merit Cross on the noncombatant ribbon is also found more frequently among this group of people, it could be received for many supporting activities, for example, Wachtmeister Schwarze, to whom the second medal bar can be assigned, received it for training the youth in sports and thus strengthening the military force.

Of the Oberwachtmeister mentioned in the Court and State Manual, the following 13 persons are listed with the combination of the Cross of Merit 1st Class, Service Award 21 years and Landwehr DA 2nd Class (in parentheses the year of the award of the Merit Cross 1st class):

- Christian Schlüter, Oberwachtmeister d. Hauptstelle Braunschweig (1909).

- Friedrich Schaumburg, Oberwachtmeister, Thedinghausen  (1909)

- Herman Schichow, Oberwachtmeister, Vechelde (1915)

- August Heyer, Oberwachtmeister, Wolfenbüttel Headquarters (1909)

- Heinrich Leineweber, Oberwachtmeister, Schöppenstedt (1905)

- Heinrich Heyer, Oberwachtmeister, Vorsfelde (1915)

- Ernst Jachmann, Oberwachtmeister, Helmstedt  (1911)

- Heinrich Schlenker, Oberwachtmeister, Lutter am Berge  (1916)

- Franz Rose, Oberwachtmeister, Seesen (according to list only VK2)

- August Schulze, Oberwachtmeister, Gandersheim  (1915)

- Heinrich Reulecke, Oberwachtmeister, Stadtoldendorf  (1910)

- Heinrich Lillig, Oberwachtmeister Eschershausen  (1910)

- Konrad Ruprecht, Oberwachtmeister Ottenstein (1911)

Some other Oberwachtmeister have another decoration which does not appear on the present bar or have only the Merit Cross 2nd. class, so that they cannot be considered as bearers of the upper bar.

Since the Merit Cross 1st. class is a silver-gilt example from Siebrecht's production, only the awards that took place between August 1909 and April 1912 can be considered. Franz Rose I can prove with the lists in the state archives WF only with the mc 2nd, here the court and state handbook apparently errs. So that leaves 7 possible candidates as original wearers for the upper medal bar. My question, does anyone have award lists of the Prussian Order of Merit for War Aid and can match these 7 names (in bold above) there? I can't narrow down the possible wearer any closer at the moment. Possible maybe when I am back in Wolfenbüttel in the archives.

The lower order bar is a typical bar of a Wachtmeister (constable), who either was subordinated to the Oberwachtmeister in a main station or who was on duty in a branch station of the ducal gendarmerie corps for example and then led it. The combination of the Order of Merit 2nd class, DA 21 years and LW-DA 2nd class appears 20 times for Wachtmeister, the combination of DA 21 years and LW-DA 2 still 16 times. However, this bar also has the silver medal of the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. This medal was only awarded to a Wachtmeister and a Oberwachtmeister. 

Since the Oberwachtmeister wore the higher class of the Merit Cross , the wearer of this second bar can only be Karl Schwarze, who was in charge of the branch office on the southern edge of the Duchy of Brunswick near Blankenburg in the Harz village of Altenbrak. The Mecklenburger might have been given to the two gendarmes as a courtesy gesture award when the Duke of Mecklenburg was visiting the Guelph castle in Blankenburg, which served as a summer residence.

So we have here two nice non combat bars from Brunswick and some history behind it! 

Schnallen Hzgl Gendarmeriekorps.png

Schnallen Hzgl Gendarmeriekorps 2.png

Edited by BlackcowboyBS

@BlackcowboyBSI am speechless! I have quite the appreciation for Theodor Kermess' bar with the Peter Friedrich Ludwig Haus und Verdienstorden ehrenkreuz III klasse! As I think I remember reading something Rick wrote that people in similar positions to Herr Kermess would be jealous about him having the Verdienstkreuz fur Kriegshilfe and absolutely nuts to have BOTH the VfK and the non-combatant EK! 

Bars with first world war and 1870 and prior awards are among my favorite to say the least!

I doubt there is a thorough awards list of the Verdienstkreuz fur Kriegshilfe, I wish I could help.  

Your last two bars are absolutely fascinating! The history that is told by them alone is what had drawn me to collecting and researching. I wish you the best of luck in the further narrowing down of names for an identification. All of your examples are the envy of any Braunschweig collector and rightfully so! You should be proud to have such example preserved and in your collection!  

13 hours ago, BlackcowboyBS said:

Today I would like to present you the following two medal bars. The triple combination of service award for 21 years, merit cross of Henry the Lion and Braunschweig war merit cross at the non-combatant ribbon is found so only on order bars of Braunschweig gendarmes. (At least I don't know of any bar where this isn't the case).
    Decisive here is the 21 years DA, which after Brunswick joined the military convention, was awarded only to this group. Soldiers received from this time only the Prussian counterparts. So we hold that medal bars that clearly have a connection to World War I and have the Brunswick award for 21 years of service on them are 99.5% from Brunswick gendarmes. (Soldiers who received this award prior to 1886 were most likely too old to receive World War I awards as well.)

The merit crosses were usually awarded to this target group after faithful and dutiful service, although the number of years of service could vary here. Oberwachtmeister usually received the 1st Class of the Cross of Merit (HdL)at some point, while Wachtmeister received only the 2nd Class. However, in 1916 not every Oberwachtmeister (senior constable) listed in the Hof- und Staatshandbuch had received a 1st class Merit Cross.

The Braunschweig War Merit Cross on the noncombatant ribbon is also found more frequently among this group of people, it could be received for many supporting activities, for example, Wachtmeister Schwarze, to whom the second medal bar can be assigned, received it for training the youth in sports and thus strengthening the military force.

Of the Oberwachtmeister mentioned in the Court and State Manual, the following 13 persons are listed with the combination of the Cross of Merit 1st Class, Service Award 21 years and Landwehr DA 2nd Class (in parentheses the year of the award of the Merit Cross 1st class):

- Christian Schlüter, Oberwachtmeister d. Hauptstelle Braunschweig (1909).

- Friedrich Schaumburg, Oberwachtmeister, Thedinghausen  (1909)

- Herman Schichow, Oberwachtmeister, Vechelde (1915)

- August Heyer, Oberwachtmeister, Wolfenbüttel Headquarters (1909)

- Heinrich Leineweber, Oberwachtmeister, Schöppenstedt (1905)

- Heinrich Heyer, Oberwachtmeister, Vorsfelde (1915)

- Ernst Jachmann, Oberwachtmeister, Helmstedt  (1911)

- Heinrich Schlenker, Oberwachtmeister, Lutter am Berge  (1916)

- Franz Rose, Oberwachtmeister, Seesen (according to list only VK2)

- August Schulze, Oberwachtmeister, Gandersheim  (1915)

- Heinrich Reulecke, Oberwachtmeister, Stadtoldendorf  (1910)

- Heinrich Lillig, Oberwachtmeister Eschershausen  (1910)

- Konrad Ruprecht, Oberwachtmeister Ottenstein (1911)

Some other Oberwachtmeister have another decoration which does not appear on the present bar or have only the Merit Cross 2nd. class, so that they cannot be considered as bearers of the upper bar.

Since the Merit Cross 1st. class is a silver-gilt example from Siebrecht's production, only the awards that took place between August 1909 and April 1912 can be considered. Franz Rose I can prove with the lists in the state archives WF only with the mc 2nd, here the court and state handbook apparently errs. So that leaves 7 possible candidates as original wearers for the upper medal bar. My question, does anyone have award lists of the Prussian Order of Merit for War Aid and can match these 7 names (in bold above) there? I can't narrow down the possible wearer any closer at the moment. Possible maybe when I am back in Wolfenbüttel in the archives.

The lower order bar is a typical bar of a Wachtmeister (constable), who either was subordinated to the Oberwachtmeister in a main station or who was on duty in a branch station of the ducal gendarmerie corps for example and then led it. The combination of the Order of Merit 2nd class, DA 21 years and LW-DA 2nd class appears 20 times for Wachtmeister, the combination of DA 21 years and LW-DA 2 still 16 times. However, this bar also has the silver medal of the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. This medal was only awarded to a Wachtmeister and a Oberwachtmeister. 

Since the Oberwachtmeister wore the higher class of the Merit Cross , the wearer of this second bar can only be Karl Schwarze, who was in charge of the branch office on the southern edge of the Duchy of Brunswick near Blankenburg in the Harz village of Altenbrak. The Mecklenburger might have been given to the two gendarmes as a courtesy gesture award when the Duke of Mecklenburg was visiting the Guelph castle in Blankenburg, which served as a summer residence.

So we have here two nice non combat bars from Brunswick and some history behind it! 

Schnallen Hzgl Gendarmeriekorps.png

Schnallen Hzgl Gendarmeriekorps 2.png

That's do cool. My family lives in Blankenburg Harz! ??

• 6 months later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 5 months later...

Rudolf Hammer, mayor of Brandenburg an der Havel wearing his non combattant medal bar with the Königlicher Kronen-Orden, Roter Adler Orden, 1870-71 medal and the Centenarme- medal along with the mayor chain for his official portrait. 

Scan_20230705 (5).jpg

• 4 months later...
    10 hours ago, christerd said:

Here is a new miniature chain , a noncombattant in 1864 war but fought in 1870/71 war and then a 1897 medal. What do you think is missing ? Some award from another country 🤔

17007265399725546633449023454541.jpg

17007265749132225957697370796894.jpg

Hi,

maybe something like this

Mini2.jpg.8faced379d57935cb6bcb8b39885cda3.jpg

Kind regards

Andreas