News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Non-combatant bars are difficult to find!

Guest Rick Research

This is when I wish those @$#%^ Prussians had either LISTED exact colonial service (like the W?rttembergers) or shown Campaign medals (all of them) like the Bavarians!

The Frackspange in goofy precedence MIGHT have been ONE naval paymaster-- but

not listed in the Orders Almanac so no way to "see" the steel China, and the Ludwig Cross was not wacko.gif shown at all in the 1918 Marine Rangliste. So, probably an army Beamter, with that narrow a list of suspects in the navy.

The Red Eagle/Crown/Albert but XV guy must have left as a career NCO long before the war (or he'd have earned an XXV) and then had a GLORIOUS career in the civil service, coming back for some sort of uniformed duty during the war. But no clue who he was either.

Then again, I can't find THIS guy, and this is probably THE weirdest German awards group I have ever seen:

[attachmentid=7012]

how about THIS combination for freaky???

[attachmentid=7013]

Correct. Fantastic area of very unusual as a group Orders, to an 1866 and 1870 "Paris" veteran, MUST be a "steel" China, with the 1914 "white-black" EK2 and...

1918 Wound Badge

Guest Brian von Etzel

What a tough guy this last NCO was. EKII 1870 not so easy to earn. If he had the battle bars and we could read them we could narrow down his Corps, but alas, not.

Guest Brian von Etzel

Paris a little too common and too many men there. Five or six and voila. ...ack, and I saw him and assumed it was an 1870 EKII which it isn't. Wound badge, good grief? Probably wounded in a shelling of behind the lines structures.

Edited by Brian von Etzel

Guest Rick Research

Here's the Mystery Beamter's bar a bit closer. It is indeed a 1914 EK2 which is why he's not wearing it on his VERY strange pre-war medal bar:

[attachmentid=7036]

Unfortunately the original image is not clearer than this, though I can see it a bit better than it scans.

Notice that he got the Bavarian Saint Michael Order MERIT CROSS with Crown-- so as a "senior NCO" level (and a VERY strange thing indeed that would be-- even for a Bavarian!!). And then the W?rttemberg Friedrich Order-Knight 2nd as a "Lieutenant" level, as well as the Prussian Crown Order 4 at the same level.

And yet, and yet...

he was NOT a career NCO who went into some obscure (there is NOTHING I can do with his 2-pips Polizei "Meister" type rank boards) military OR civil official position-- he has NO enlisted long service awards. AND there in 3rd place is a Prussian XXV Years Service Cross (mounted back to front, so the "XXV" shows) which before 1920 went ONLY to career officers and medical officers-- NCOs and Beamten were only authorized for it just as awards ceased for war's duration, none getting it until AFTER the war.

So this guy HAD to have been a combatant regimental officer, then retired from that to become some sort of Beamter AFTER he had earned his XXV (no later than 1889 with his "double time" 1866 and 1870/71 war service time). Being a "Captain/Major" level to have received the Red Eagle 4.

But but but but speechless.gifwacko.gif

Rick, I have seen a similar combination before.... it was a bar of a high decorated but low ranked "Festungsbaumeister" - a fortress building master.... don`t know if he is something in this direction but his bar looks nearly the same...

Heiko

• 3 years later...