News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 66
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Joe.

With regard to your question addressing the metals (materials) used, I am not completely clear on this matter myself. As near as I can determine, Hessenthal/Schreiber says that all examples should be dark oxidized copper bronze. At the same time, Nimmergut says that the pin back should be bronze, the cross with swords should be dark bronze and the two classes without swords should be light bronze. So.... I am inclined that these guidelines were expanded due to as you so well put it - ?just wartime metal supply?.

As I seem to recall, we see similar variations with the Bavarian third class MVK?s, don?t we? Further opinions and information on this subject would be most welcome.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Gentlemen,

Before this thread fades away, I think that it deserves examples of the various orders of W?rttemberg. So I?ll do my best to help fill some gaps.

First we have the knight?s cross of both the Civil Merit Order and the Military Merit Order, from 1806. That?s correct, same badge for two separate orders, the difference being in the suspension ribbon. More on this in a moment.

• 1 year later...

See what a polishing cloth and a case of OCD can do

This guz must have been really proud of his service and paraded a lot.

Note the brass half-round wire soldered to the ends of the bar to protect the ribbons and keep them in place.

The reason that there are two examples without swords and one with is evident when we compare the reverses. The crosses with swords have the inscription "kriegs verdienst" on the reverse while the crosses without swords could be awarded with or without the inscription.

I'd like to elaborate this answer :

According to Dr Kliethmann

The cross with swords is awarded for combattant.

The cross without swords and with "Kriegsverdienst" inscription on back side is the cross for "Verdienste im Kriege in der Heimat" (War merit toward homeland)

The cross without swords and without any inscription on the back side is known as cross "f?r sonstige Verdienste " (for general merit)

:cheers: