News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unusual 1914 EK1 mark

I have seen this style of cross before, but not the maker mark! Take a gander at this mark on a "pillow-back" EK1! It's kinda like 2 snakes, or eagle heads, the rhomboid in the center has a "W" and there's a crown above the rhomboid with a star at the top of the crown. Below the mark is a "925" silver mark.

And the reverse.... the "pillow back" as it is commonly called, was an early war cross for sure. Very thin, magnetic core and 925 silver frame.... This style of EK1 is very hard to find, marked for silver content is into "exceptional"........ per my good friend Mike K. Note that this one was worn with pride and both the catch and hinge bear the crude "im=felde" repairs of crosses associated with wear on duty/at the front.

228102.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I was in the process of replying to this when my computer crashed a week ago. Bob, I'm watching you everywhere and it seems I'm going to have to find other uses for my spanner speechless.gif

Here's a closeup of a well formed AWS mark.

Regards

Mike K

Rick does this one have a shaped pin or a needle type? I've had both but I've only seen the higher silver content crosses with a fluted type pin. In my experience so far they are either unmarked for silver or 800 marked. These have the thin needle pin. I've seen two with the silver content your piece shows and they both had the fluted type pin. Just wondered if this was the rule or just random.

Cheers, Glenn.