News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Tsedenbal's awards

Bob

Sunday's are always good to flip through Dr B's book and this time what sparked my interest was the awards that Tsedenbal has (page 21).

In particular: 3 Bulgarian Dimitrov orders!?! Never realized that Mongolia had such close ties to Bulgaria of all places. That's more than his modest 2 Order of Lenin's :P

How about identifying the awards on the other side of his jacket?

• 4 weeks later...

And here are my findings. I am not sure of all his awards, but I think I could identify most of the ribbons.

A. Tsedenbal as a General of the Army:

IPB Image

1. Order of Sukhbaatar

2. Order of Sukhbaatar (x4)

3. Order of Lenin (x2), Order of the October Revolution, Order of Kutuzov - 1st Class

4. Order of the Red Banner (x2) (Mongolia), Order of the Red Banner of Labor Valor, Medal "50 Years of the Mongolian People's Revolution"

5. Order of Karl Marx (GDR), Order of Georgi Dimitrov (x2) (Bulgaria), Order of the Flag - 1st class w. Diamonds (Hungary)

6. Order of the National Flag - 1st Class (N. Korea), Order of Polonia Restituta - Grand Cross (Poland), Order of Merit - Grand Cross (Poland)

7. Order of the White Lion (Czechoslovakia - ?? wrong ribbon but corresponds with the star he is wearing), Order of Jose Marti (Cuba - the pre-1979 type), Star of Friendship of Nations (GDR)

8. Lenin Centenary Medal (USSR), Order of the Grand Star (Yugoslavia), Medal of Friendship (Mongolia), Medal of Khalkhin Gol (??)

9. Medal for the Victory over Germany, Medal of 20th Anniversary of of Great Patriotic War Victory, Medal of 30th Anniversary of of Great Patriotic War Victory, Medal for the Victory over Japan

10. Medal "30th Anniversary of the Victory at Khalkhin Gol", Medal "We Won", Medal "30th Anniversary of the Victory over the Militaristic Japan, Medal "25 Years of the MPR"

11. Medal "40 Years of the MPR", Medal "50 Years of the Mongolian People's Army", Medal "50 Years of the State Security of the MPR", Medal 50 Years of the Police of the MPR"

B. and after his promotion to Marshal of Mongolia in 1979:

IPB Image

1. Order of Sukhbaatar (x4)

2. Order of Sukhbaatar, Order of Lenin (x2), Order of the October Revolution

3. Order of Kutuzov - 1st Class, Order of the Red Banner (x2) (Mongolia), Order of the Red Banner of Labor Valor

4. Order of Karl Marx (GDR), Order of Georgi Dimitrov (x2) (Bulgaria), Order of the Flag - 1st class w. Diamonds (Hungary)

5. Order of the National Flag - 1st Class (N. Korea), Order of Polonia Restituta - Grand Cross (Poland), Order of Merit - Grand Cross (Poland)

6. Order of the White Lion (Czechoslovakia - ??), Order of Jose Marti (Cuba), Order of Friendship of Nations (GDR)

7. Order of the Grand Star (Yugoslavia), Medal of Friendship (Mongolia), Medal "50 Years of the Mongolian People's Revolution", Medal "50 Years of the Mongolian People's Army"

8. Lenin Centenary Medal (USSR), Medal for the Victory over Germany, Medal of 20th Anniversary of of Great Patriotic War Victory, Medal of 30th Anniversary of of Great Patriotic War Victory

9. Medal for the Victory over Japan, Medal "60th Anniversary of the Soviet Army" (??), Medal "30th Anniversary of the Victory at Khalkhin Gol", Medal "30th Anniversary of the Victory over the Militaristic Japan

10. Medal of Khalkhin Gol (??), Medal "We Won", Medal "25 Years of the MPR", Medal "40 Years of the MPR"

11. Medal "50 Years of the State Security of the MPR", Medal "40th Anniversary of the Victory at Khalkhin Gol", Medal 50 Years of the Police of the MPR", Medal "30 Years of the German Democratic Republic" (GDR ??)

The two awards above are of course the Gold Star of the Hero of MPR and the Gold Soyombo of the Hero of Labor. The cravat decoration is the star of the Marshal of Mongolia, closely modeled on the stars of Soviet Marshals.

Thanks Lukasz!

Now, do you also know what the little blue ribboned medal on the right hand side of his jacket is? It corresponds with one of the ribbons or is something seperate? For sure he seems attached to it because he persistently wears it.

Note, this is not a quiz - I really have no clue myself!

Ed,

What is the medal with the blue bow suspension on the right side of his uniform?

:beer: Doc

This one on the left? Working on it! :banger:

First impression was DDR Clara Zetkin Medal, but noooo . . . .

And the other one??

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Thank you Bob and Ed, your words always help me keep my head up high ;) . As of Bob's question: the photo is not very clear but it is likely to be the German Peace Prize Medal. It is easier for me to identifiy the one next to it (on the red bar) which I think to be the medal of the Dimitrov Prize.

L.

• 13 years later...