News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ed's Afghan Abyss

Ed_Haynes

• Replies 81
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Before these return to their usual home, a few more (at the risk of polluting with things that aren't German wound badges :P ).

PDRA: Medal for Distinguished Frontier Service

Established 24 December 1980.

Awarded to members of the border forces and to civilians (especially frontier-based tribal leaders) for the protection of the frontier, bravery and the selflessness shown in operations with violators of the border, and for active assistance to the armies in protection Afghanistan's borders. The medal could be also awarded to foreign citizens.

Generally parallal to the Soviet border medal.

The correct ribbon is that shown on the left (obverse). The medal is, however, odten encountered on teh Afghan tricolor ribbon (right, reverse). Presumably, Soviet friends used whatever ribbon they could find?

PDRA: Meritorious Public Service (???)

Honestly, I have no clue. The legend is something like what I have given above. I'd guess it is an Afghan parallel to the Soviet Medal for Distinguished Service in the Preservation of the Public Order.

Help???

• 3 weeks later...

Order of Ghazi Amir Amanullah

Named after Amir Amanullah who ruled Afghanistan from 1919 until being forced into exile in 1929. He was known as a reformer. Despite being a "royal", this would have made him a hero to the PDRA.

People's Democratic Republic

Order of Gallantry

Awarded for gallantry, roughly equivalent to the Soviet Order of the Red Star (as the design might suggest?).

Established 29 October 1985. The award presumably became obsolete with the collapse of the PDRA in 1992.

These came in two varieties, (1) 1985-87, with an open book as part of the central design (shown below), and (2) 1987-92, without the book (which I don't have -- yet).

Numbered 1248 on reverse.

Order of Gallantry, type 2, 1987-92

Numbered 1407 on reverse.

Not nearly up to the quality of type 1 or the model, the Soviet Red Star. (Should do a side-by-side comparison?)

• 3 months later...

People's Democratic Republic

Medal of Ghazi Muhammad Ayub Khan

Whoever he may be.

Two apologies: one, for my first post being a jump in here, and; two, for replying to an old post that Ed almost certainly knows the answer to by now, I'm sure.

Judging by the symbol on the medal which is the Minar-i-Maiwand in Kabul, this will be Ayub Khan, the ambitious brother of Yaqub Khan who defeated the British at Maiwand, 27 Jul 1880. aka The Victor of Maiwand or The Afghan Prince Charlie.

What a fantastic collection, Ed - wonderful.

- Garen

Two apologies: one, for my first post being a jump in here, and; two, for replying to an old post that Ed almost certainly knows the answer to by now, I'm sure.

Judging by the symbol on the medal which is the Minar-i-Maiwand in Kabul, this will be Ayub Khan, the ambitious brother of Yaqub Khan who defeated the British at Maiwand, 27 Jul 1880. aka The Victor of Maiwand or The Afghan Prince Charlie.

What a fantastic collection, Ed - wonderful.

- Garen

Thanks, Garen. I should have known that when I posted, later filled that mental blank, and never got around to updating the post. Thanks for jogging what is left of my memory.

:cheers:

• 4 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...
    • 2 months later...

I am in love, Ed. I think that I found a new secondary focus!! These medals and orders are amazing. You definitely have my attention here. I shudder to think what happened to the recipients of these awards after the Soviet pull out.

I shudder to think what happened to the recipients of these awards after the Soviet pull out.

Many are, amazingly, still there, some still serving in various armed roles, others wanting to help, but prior party membership is an impediment.

The whole family.

1- Order of Gallantry, type 1, 1985-87 (#1247). Awarded to a Soviet, Vladimir Yurevich Loginov. See http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12313&st=24 -- very close to "Red-Star-quality".

2- Order of Gallantry, type 2, 1987-92 (#1407). Much lower quality.

3- For comparison: The Soviet Order of the Red Star (the inspiration for this award, after all) to Senior Warrant Officer Valentin Nikolaiovich Kubasov -- see http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12356 -- for services in Afghanistan. Number 3795082.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 1 year later...

Kingdom

Ma'aref (Education) Order (1960-73)

This, apparently, came in two classes/types?

Hello Ed ,

I recently purchased this one in a german auction.So I guess the 2 items you have are same class,but different manufacturer.Watch the suspension barrel of mine and the one at left on your picture.It is similar.Also similar are the leaf below your "left" ones and mine.

Is the left one on your picture made in India ?

I ask because mine is made by "NUDSQ & Co --- BOMBAY 3" or NUDSO.

I guess you have 2 version of the 1st class,and I have a second class.Also in the recent UBS auction in novembre 08,there was a similar Order (Lot 82) ,but of German "Deschler & Sohn Munchen" manufacture.

Afghan phaleristic could be an endless story.

What is your opinion ?

Emmanuel